Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Anne With An E

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:52 am

A rather harsh review that accuses the series of getting it all terribly wrong:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/20 ... -sad-wrong

And another that praises the series for the very same reasons the first one has found disagreeable:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... een-gables

I guess, if you've been in love with the old, more lighthearted and child-friendly adaptation, this might go against the grain. But the second reviewer has also been a great fan of the original adaptation, yet seems to adore the darker take on the story.

Of course, if someone goes back to a material that has been adapted to screen before, why create a replica?

I have not seen the original mini series, but am quite curious now to compare. The dark tones of Anne with an E made perfect sense to me. I still felt the overwhelming positivity and love of life coming through from our little heroine in abundance, and believable. Perhaps Anne's heroism was overdone slightly with the fire, and was somewhat unnecessary, as her more believable display of cool in a crisis and application of expertise saving the little child's life would have been sufficient as a catalyst to Anne's acceptance into the community.

Anne with a PTSD? Yes. That's the story we have been told, but I think that has worked brilliantly. It's also more believable that an orphan child in her situation wouldn't be still suffering from past traumas. I am going to watch the old series, but I find it hardly unlikely to like this new adaptation less for exposing the less savoury parts to this story.

Matthew wanting to kill himself to save his family from losing their home, from poverty? I didn't feel that out of character at all. I never thought he would go through with it, because that would have been. But the thought process in itself, and pushing it as far as getting prettty close to doing it, that was not surprising at all. It seemed like he was just at the start of learning what it felt to be loved not just needed. It was still too new and elusive for him to stop him from contemplating such sacrifice for his loved ones.

The criticism for Gilbert is nonsense. He's been perfection to me right from the start. A somewhat enigmatic, very enjoyable multilayered character.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:22 pm

I think the purists would have preferred that this series be about someone similar to Anne of Green Gables, but not consider itself a remake. I read the series once upon a time, but it was too long ago to inspire me to be offended.

Doesn't it seem like most series start out with spectacular loving care and then start fizzling out pretty quickly? I liked the beginning episodes better than the later as it seemed it was becoming formula - you could predict the outcome because of the pattern it was setting. Perhaps a bit diminished, but still so enjoyable and the characters were continuing to develop, so that is the crux of enjoyment for me...the little triad within that sweet farmhouse.

The suicidal thoughts are highly appropriate - actually very prevalent in times of economic depression. How very sad when a man believes he is worth more to his family dead than alive. Many felt it an act of valor.

Anne's spirit does soar through the bleakness, doesn't it? So glad you've enjoyed this PIC-o'-mine...

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:25 am

In full agreement.

Shows that start "with spectacular loving care and then start fizzling out pretty quickly"? Oh my.
One springs to mind. :57:

I think this one will be still very pleasurable in Season 2, despite the established level of predictability. It doesn't really matter. After Anne finds acceptance and love, it's not the story any more, but the delivery that is the real draw here. Anne (and the actress) is simply wonderful, the family unit works beautifully, there is excellent chemistry between Anne and Gilbert, and the cinematography is to die for. Almost a reason enough to rewatch. It's such a luxurious visual treat.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:56 pm

Finally!!! 6 July! What a wonderful treat this will be! :08:

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:05 pm

ALERT: The new season of Anne With An E is now available on Netflix!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks for the reminder, Lori! :x Looking forward to it.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:57 pm

Watched this season in toto and had fun doing so. I don't think I enjoyed it quite as much as the first. Some of the magic was gone for me and it seemed to have a bit of a preachy agenda, but that is in line with a lot of retro-type shows. (Remember Little House On the Prairie?) So, a worthwhile viewing but for me not quite as much to rave about this time round.

• Information