Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Alias Grace

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:50 am

Will Margaret Atwood's Alias Grace repeat the TV success of The Handmaid’s Tale?

Alias Grace, published 21 years ago, was Margaret Atwood’s 9th novel. It has been adapted to tv by Sarah Polley, now available on Netflix. Apparently Polley first wrote to Atwood to ask for the film rights shortly after publication, when she was a mere 17-year-old!

Set in 1840s and 1850s Ontario – it had only recently been the British-controlled colony of Upper Canada – 'Alias Grace' recreates the true and much disputed story of Grace Marks.

Marks and her fellow servant James McDermott were accused of the 1843 murders of their employer, Thomas Kinnear, and his housekeeper and lover, Nancy Montgomery; it appeared that Marks was in love with Kinnear and McDermott in pursuit of Marks. McDermott was hanged, while Marks was sent to prison by way of the lunatic asylum. When we first meet her in Atwood’s version, she has acquired a dual identity, both “celebrated murderess” (“but what is there to celebrate about murder?” she wonders) and model prisoner who – with an echo of The Handmaid’s Tale – is brought into the prison governor’s domestic sphere to wait on his wife and her circle of friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... ret-atwood

What do we think, ladies? Worth a look?
It's 6 episodes of approx. 45 min each.
I think I might read the book as well.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:58 am

I've watched the first episode, and thought it was promising. The script is beautifully written, no doubt borrowing a lot from Margaret Atwood's original novel, the language sounds very familiar.

Grace tells her story to Doctor Jordan, and it's a compelling story in itself. But the dynamic between the two of them in these interviews is just as compelling, as are Grace's random flashbacks and thoughts which she doesn't share with the Doctor. An excellent start to the series. Beautiful cinematography too.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:30 pm

I binged watched this series while I was sick. It is captivating mostly due to the lead actress who is stellar. I recommend it. It isn't earth-shattering, but filmed beautifully and makes one question the mind and what we perceive as truth.

• Information