Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

The Sailor

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm

Gary Winogrand

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:55 pm

i'm coming home to you
my life packed in a hold-all
eyes filled with so much blue
and bones soaked in the ocean

streetlights sighing their last breaths of the night
there's not a soul but me
carrying my salty heart home
to rest on your pillow

i think of you as you lie in our bed
tangled warm in crumpled sheets
dreaming of forests and mountains
never the sea
never the sea

hand tight around the key in my pocket
i picture how you will stir to the smell of coffee
and the rustle of paper bag
as i undress the bagel i'll pick up for you round the corner
cinnamon and raisin
your favourite

how i will let my fingers comb through your hair
and lazily you will stretch and open your eyes
how sweetly you will smile and say

hey sailor
you're home

~ A.P.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm

Just wonderful, PIC. Wonderful.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:46 am

I'm not through with you yet LOL! Time has been a scarce entity this week so I've been letting this piece live in my head until I can explain. I was contemplating how you write and the way you structure the images you paint, and I realized that in addition to the warmth your pieces contain, I have such a trust in where a line or a thought is going, that it is all the more enjoyable.

"Eyes filled with so much blue
And bones soaked in the ocean"

Then the comforting love of this war weary sailor dreaming of beautiful and life sustaining things (never the sea, never to sea) with him fresh from a nightmare . The person he is returning to is his shelter from the storm. The anticipation of sweet and simple comfort with morning coffee and the knowledge he will be enfolded with a soft place to fall and land.

I love this piece so much. And this from a photograph! Thank you for gifting this to us!

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:46 am

Thank you so much for the kind words, Lori, and telling me what you enjoyed in this and it's good to know I've managed to convey the story what I wanted to tell.

I found that very important that she was either managing to block out the sea from her dreams, or she was blessed not having nightmares about it, because she was well aware of the horrors her lover had seen out there, even though he'd never talk to her about it. Maybe he did once, a long time ago, and there's no need to use words anymore. She knows what it's like, and he doesn't want to relive it. She doesn't want him to relive it. She just wants to be his safe harbour, and he just wants to fall into her and leave the sea behind. She plays along. Keeps it light and makes him forget for a while. I wanted to picture a relationship which is all about protection and comfort and living in the moment they craft carefully together.

• Information