Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Sulamith Wülfing - Angels, Crowns & Gowns

NurseRatched

Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:57 pm

Sulamith Wülfing (January 11, 1901 – 1989) was a German artist and illustrator. The author Michael Folz explains that Wülfing's art was a, "realistic reflection of the world she lives in: she has seen the angels and elfin creatures of her paintings throughout her life."

http://www.artpassions.net/wulfing/wulfing.html

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 am

These are just so precious! What a wonderful find, Mz NR. The first one, like a little elfin version of the Lady of Shallot... and the queen figurine, she's like a veil herself, there, but not quite there, so delicate. And her fingers? It seems like she's opening up her soul, maybe? Intriguing.

What a lovely way to start the day, thank you Mz NR. These images will stay with me as I work into the night.

Haven't we just found an amazing way to constantly gift one another? :x
I adore this place.

NurseRatched

Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:10 am

I agree, Mz. Dee, and I couldn't be more grateful.

Yes! Lady of Shalott-right on the nose! Thanks for adding the video; it's completely enchanting! I think delicate is the perfect way to describe these works of art. The queen figurine really draws me in; great interpretation of her fingers. (I saw a flame! Haha :57: NR=Concrete Thinker..LOL ) And her crown is my favorite part-all the little glowing jewels or stars. I think I would have loved to known this artist, who has "seen angels and elfin creatures" her whole life. What a dreamy way to exist :25:

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

This is a life-enhancing thread. So much pleasure and emotion. Beautiful works above!!

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:20 pm

This is a photo of Sulamith:

Check the hands, in relation to the queen figurine.

Now look at this picture:

I think that's herself in the water, and the little mermaid saving her, comforting her.
No wonder she's had an obsession with mermaids too.

Now the question of opening up her soul or holding a flame... I guess they can be one of the same. In this picture it's definitely a flame... but of course the flame can be a metaphor for her soul, as in "this little light of mine"...?

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:04 am

Just a few more of Sulamith Wülfing's pictures, I must say I am quite enchanted by them.

Moonchime

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:25 am

I really love her pictures and have had a small book of her Christmas illustrations for a long time.
I wonder what she was like and what it means that she saw elfin creatures all her life.
Her pictures are so delicate and ethereal; ice and glass and coloured frost and lines like silk - as if they are scarcely real at all but visions of light like bubbles that could disappear with the slightest touch.
You've put your finger on it Mz Dee they are enchantments!
Thank you so much Mz NR and Mz Dee and thanks to Mz Lori for an amusing interlude :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Her pictures are so delicate and ethereal; ice and glass and coloured frost and lines like silk - as if they are scarcely real at all but visions of light like bubbles that could disappear with the slightest touch.
I love that description, Mz Moonchime.
Fancy you've had a book of her Christmas decorations! Did you buy it or was it a present?

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:23 pm

I am completely enchanted!

NurseRatched

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Dee wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:08 pm
I love that description, Mz Moonchime.
Fancy you've had a book of her Christmas decorations! Did you buy it or was it a present?
Do tell us more! I am so taken with her spare use of colors & those crowns!! I am so drawn to the crowns!!

Moonchime

Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:48 am

Finally I'm back here. :-D
The book was given to me by my sister in 1980:

Despite the size of the picture it's actually a small book - a pocket book really.
With each illustration there is a verse to go with it by a variety of poets.

This picture is at the beginning.

To perceive Christmas through its wrapping becomes more difficult each year.
E.B. White

Then Mary took her Babe
And sat him on her knee,
Saying, My dear Son, tell me
what this world will be.

O I shall be dead, Mother,
As the stones in the wall;
O the stones in the street, Mother,
Shall mourn for me all.

anon

Behold, a sill tender Babe
In freezing winter night
In homely manger trembling lies;
Alas , a piteous sight!

Despise him not for lying there,
First , what he is enquire;
An orient pearl is often found
In depth of dirty mire.

Robert Southwell

Especially for you NR - not in the book but with a crown.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:59 am

Thank you so much for sharing your favourites from this Christmas collection, MC.

I like the depiction of wisdom, the turning deeply inwards in the eyes of her subjects, even in the youngest.

• Information