Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Paul Gauguin

Moonchime

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 am

Paul Gauguin

This weekend the exhibition in London dedicated to the portraits of the post - impressionist artist Paul Gaugin will end and I will not have managed to see it. Because I would love to have seen it and I have heard rave reviews I feel I must dedicate some harbour space to him and so benefit from the exhibition in a sort of third party way.

From Wiki:
Eugène Henri Paul Gauguin ( 7 June 1848 – 8 May 1903) was a French post-Impressionist artist. Unappreciated until after his death, Gauguin is now recognized for his experimental use of color and Synthetist style that were distinct from Impressionism. Toward the end of his life, he spent ten years in French Polynesia, and most of his paintings from this time depict people or landscapes from that region.

From The National Gallery:

Spanning his early years as an artist through to his later years spent in French Polynesia, the exhibition shows how the French artist revolutionised the portrait.

By adding carefully selected attributes or placing the sitter into a suggestive context Gauguin was able to make portraits that expressed meaning beyond their personalities. A group of self portraits, for example, reveals how Gauguin created a range of personifications including his self-image as 'Christ in the Garden of Olives', 1889 (Norton Gallery of Art, West Palm Beach).

Christ in the Garden of Olives 1886

Gauguin depicts himself as Christ in anguish before being betrayed; a comparison reflecting the artist's own feelings of persecution and isolation.

The National Gallery:
Why are Gauguin’s portraits so important?
Gauguin gives us something new; he innovates, experimenting with colour, likeness, and composition. He isn’t interested in the social status of his subjects, and he often even projects himself onto the portrait, expressing an emotional, subjective response. His original colour choices, distortion of form, and use of symbols was revolutionary.

Still Life with Hope

Arii Matamore ( The Royal End)
In his early days on the island, the Tahitian King Pomare V died, and the French takeover of the island appeared to be complete. This moment inspired him to paint, 'Arii matamoe (The Royal End)'. Gauguin’s aim was not to literally portray the king, or to document the event, but rather he created a kind of fantastic and macabre pastiche that referenced both the loss of the local leader and the sense of mystery that the island setting had sparked in his imagination.

Teha’amana - his young Tahitian lover

When will you marry?

The Siesta

Vincent Van Gogh

Melancholy

Ia Orana Maria, 1891 and Vehine no te tiare, 1892 by Paul Gauguin | Getty Images

Nevermore - 1897 The Courtauld Gallery London
"This is a portrait of Ahura. Gauguin married her when she was 14 years old. A few months before this painting, when she was 15, she gave birth to his daughter. Tragically the baby died after only a few days and Ahura understandably sunk deep into depression.

Parau Api - what's new?

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:57 am

What a great way to make up for missing an exhibition, Mz Moonchime! Immersing yourself in the works of an artist this way can be richly rewarding, even if nothing quite matches the experience of standing in front of the originals.

Such exuberant colours and controversial paintings of a painter of great talent and a very questionable lifestyle, probably back in the day.

I've found a very interesting article on this subject:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/201910 ... -portraits

Who is allowed to make art about whom – and whether we can still appreciate ‘good’ work by ‘bad’ people – are questions that, today, arise with increasing regularity, force, and thorniness. It can be hard to simply revel in the heat and colour of Gauguin’s Polynesian portraits today, knowing what we do about him. They are strange and beautiful images, artistically exploratory, but also exploitative. And it’s impossible to look at them without feeling discomfort at the work’s very male, very colonial gaze.

[...] We can’t look Gauguin’s subjects in the eye: there is something deeply troubling in the women’s placid, averted, side-eyed expressions, their gaze always sliding away from us. Is this the wish-fulfilment of artist/sexual predator, an image of idealised, languid feminine passivity and cultural serenity? Is it a reflection of their powerlessness? Or could it be defiance – a glazed, protective, you’ll-never-really-know-me stare? Well, we’ll never know either.

Perhaps one solution to the discomfort around the continuing celebration of work that now feels so problematic is – rather than dismissing it all outright or attempting to hide the awkward bits – to multiply the narratives we tell elsewhere, to make sure we offer new perspectives. A different lens, and a different gaze.
The article introduces such new perspectives from two contemporary artists, photographer Namsa Leuba and painter Kehinde Wiley, and sums up the importance of their work:
Both invite the viewer to look a little closer, to ask if the stories and stereotypes we’ve become used to may be nothing more than illusions.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:23 am

Even though the Tahitian paintings are the first that spring to mind when I think of Gauguin, I am much more drawn to this painting, which is probably now my favourite painting of his. My mind is increasingly like sieve, but I can't remember seeing this picture before. Thank you for introducing it, Moonchime.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 am

I really like this one too. Such a far cry from the Tahitian paintings! :57:

Young Breton Girl', 1889

Yet, the same feeling of detachedness, sadness.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:47 am

This painting is so visually stunning, it has always been one of my favourites.

Vision after the Sermon (Jacob Wrestling with the Angel) 1888

Moonchime

Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 am

Yes I so agree Dee - I love the Breton picture. What's more I was not familiar with the Christ in the Garden one either and I find it so stunning; such beautiful colours and the amazing effect of that red hair atop such sadness. I just have to keep looking at it.

The article looks fascinating but I haven't read it properly yet - will do so - looks as if there could be some good discussion points.
How would you want to be portrayed in a portrait?
Would you let the artist have free rein?

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:55 pm

Moonchime wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:38 am

How would you want to be portrayed in a portrait?
Would you let the artist have free rein?
Fun question. I think I’d like to be portrayed singing or drumming or doing land art.

I’d let the artist have free rein if they knew me well and liked me lots, lol!

How about you??

• Information