Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Art and Stories

Moonchime

Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:11 am

Judith beheading Holofernes.

I got interested in this story when I looked at an exhibition on in London which had caught my interest. The exhibition was on Artemesia Gentileschi - the most important woman artist of the 17th century. One of her key works is that of Judith beheading Holofernes and when I posted the Klimt thread, I realised he also had painted that scene along with lots of other artists, so I thought it would be interesting to compare them and see the different approaches.
Unless otherwise stated all quoted information is from www.artsy.net

First we need the story which is from the Book of Judith in the Old Testament.
From www.artsy.net:
As the ancient story relates, Assyrian king Nebuchadnezzar sent his general Holofernes to besiege the Jewish city of Bethulia. Judith, described as a beautiful young widow, resolves to save her people by slaying Holofernes herself. After reciting a long prayer to God, she dons her finest clothes in order to seduce him. After Holofernes has drank enough wine to become intoxicated, Judith decapitates him with his own sword, winning a decisive victory for the Israelites.
Botticelli, Judith with the Head of Holofernes, ca. 1470. Image via Wikimedia Commons.

The reason for so many depictions and interpretations is given on artsy as follows:
In particular, the story provides the ideal template for the exploration of the power of female virtue, beauty, and power. Consequently, there is a rich array of artworks depicting Judith, which mainly fall into two categories: the femme forte (the strong and/or virtuous woman) and the femme fatale (the sexually dangerous woman).
early Renaissance depictions of Judith by Florentine artists nearly always appear virginally beautiful. Sandro Botticelli’s depiction of Judith returning to Bethulia with the head of Holofernes (ca. 1469–70) similarly presents her like a goddess; in the painting, she dons a chaste, yet richly draped, dress.

Donatello, Judith, 1457–64. Image via Wikimedia Commons.
www.artsy.net
To underscore the political allegory, Donatello portrayed Judith in a warrior’s stance, her sword raised, poised to strike at Holofernes’s exposed neck. Her head is modestly covered, like depictions of the Virgin Mary, but her face has Classical features, also aligning her with virginal Greek goddesses such as Artemis or Athena (the ornament on her neckline is reminiscent of Athena Parthenos’s breastplate).

Giorgione, Judith with the Head of Holophernes, 1504. Image via Wikimedia Commons.

www.artsy.net
With the onset of the Renaissance, interpretations of Judith became more politicized. She came to symbolize a small but strong population able to overpower a tyrant.

By the late Renaissance, depictions of Judith had become more seductive and aggressive. Starting in the early 1500s, artists transformed her from a relatively simply dressed goddess figure into an elaborately adorned noblewoman.
One can see the first signs of this shift in Giorgione’s 1504 portrayal, in which a triumphant Judith steps on Holofernes’s severed head. She is fully clothed in a simple dress, but Judith’s bare leg—the very same leg with which she steps on Holofernes’s head—emerges from a long slit in the garment, and jewels adorn her neckline and her head

Lucas Cranach the Elder, Judith with the Head of Holofernes, ca. 1530. Image via Wikimedia Commons.
the Judith portrayed by Lucas Cranach the Elder in 1530 wears a lavish, court-appropriate outfit that shows her, as the Metropolitan Museum of Arthas written, “dressed to kill.” Although she is clothed in this iteration, her facial expression conveys a self-assured sense of power and seduction that departs from previous Judiths, whose faces are usually unperturbed or simply coy.

Giorgio Vasari, Judith and Holofernes, ca. 1554.
In 1554, Giorgio Vasari dressed his quite-muscular Judith, shown in the act of lowering her sword onto Holofernes’s neck, in a pale pink cuirass paired with a multi-tiered, green skirt clasped with a gilded girdle. These unusual garments suggest both martial strength and feminine seduction.

Caravaggio 1598 - 1599

From Artsy:
During the Baroque era, Judith beheading Holofernes became an opportunity for painters to indulge in gore; in works from this period, Judith appears as more of a violent assassin than a virtuous woman or seductress. In 1599, Caravaggio, for instance, painted an explicit depiction of the very moment Judith cuts Holofernes’s throat, his face looking up in disbelief as his body still struggles. Caravaggio’s Judith, who is young and blonde, looks almost awkward as she decapitates the Assyrian general.

Artemisia Gentileschi 1620 (one of the first women to pursue a career on the same terms as men).
Artemisia'a Judith
has been interpreted by historians to convey the artist’s female rage, both as a rape victim and as a woman in a male-dominated field. In both paintings, Judith, richly dressed, is aided by her maid in pinning Holofernes down as she decapitates him. The paintings convey the physical exertion experienced by the three characters, and, in contrast to Caravaggio’s, shows Judith unafraid of the task at hand.
It wasn’t until the Belle Époque that Judith fully morphed into a desirable—but markedly depraved—femme fatale. While this archetype has always existed in art and literature (popular femmes fatales include Medusa, Cleopatra, Salome, and Delilah), it became a particularly popular subject for artists during the Romantic period and flourished in the late 19th century, when female figures were shown with an equal combination of beauty and turpitude.

Gustav Klimt 1901 Judith and the head of Holofernes
Gustav Klimt’s 1901 version of Judith (which was mischaracterized as Salome for years, even though the frame distinctly bears the title Judith und Holofernes) ignores the once-prevailing heroic narrative to picture her mostly exposed, cradling Holofernes’s head in an expression of post-coital bliss. Here, Holofernes, whose head is cut out of the frame, is not the victim of a female warrior, but of a sheer seductress.

Franz Stuck, Judith, 1928. Image via Wikimedia Commons.
Similar in style is Franz von Stuck’s 1928 version of Judith. A purveyor of mythology and female nudes, the German artist painted her full-frontal, wielding the sword with two hands, an expression of spite and triumph on her face. German author Eva Schumann-Bacia described this take on Judith as “the epitome of depraved seduction.”
In 2012, American artist Kehinde Wiley realized a more contemporary interpretation of the tale, depicting Judith as a black woman in a Givenchy gown. Holofernes’s severed head is here a white woman, a symbol of the need to vanquish white supremacy.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:05 am

What a fascinating post, Mz Moonchime, thank you for assembling it all for us. So interesting to see the same subject interpreted in so many different ways reflecting the times, covering more than half of a millennium! Incredible really!

The fascination with the subject is easy to understand. The twisting of Judith's morality is also very interesting, also the depiction of her feelings and immediate reactions to her violent actions.

For me, the Botticelli is the most exciting. Here I find Judith, whilst at first glance childlike and angelic, looking at it longer, I find her quite scary in her non-emotional distance from what she did, her indifference, her detachedness. Like this person is capable of anything in the disguise of the gentle young woman. Her maid is looking at her with what I feel is part admiration, part quizzing: how can you look so calm, you've just cut off someone's head? Don't you think?

The Donatello statue is outright terrifying.

The Giorgione painting to me speaks of female superiority: how men have such weakness for women that can be always easily exploited. There's a matter-of-factness about her expression.

I find the Caravaggio painting really comical! Almost like a scene from a pantomime. The best part of that painting for me is the old maid. :57:

The Klimt painting was almost one of my least favourite of his works. I just find it all rather disturbing. I guess, all these paintings are in many ways. Artemisia making it so personal, I wonder if painting this she's found therapeutic? Did it give her a sense of pay-back? Seems like she was obsessed with this subject and has painted quite a few paintings of Judith.

But perhaps the most uncomfortable painting for me is the last one. I don't see how this is a painting about the need to vanquish white supremacy. This is more about revenge to me, or at the least, responding to violence and suppression with more violence, and that will never resolve anything.

Moonchime

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:16 am

Dee wrote:
For me, the Botticelli is the most exciting. Here I find Judith, whilst at first glance childlike and angelic, looking at it longer, I find her quite scary in her non-emotional distance from what she did, her indifference, her detachedness. Like this person is capable of anything in the disguise of the gentle young woman. Her maid is looking at her with what I feel is part admiration, part quizzing: how can you look so calm, you've just cut off someone's head? Don't you think?
Yes I do think it is rather interesting to say the least -she certainly looks the epitome of a cool customer and so tidy and neat - although how much blood and gore she was used to before I don't know. I think you have the maidservant off perfectly. It was apparently planned and Judith had made a habit in the days she was in the enemy camp of carrying a bag with food in it, so when she had cut off the head she could pop it in the bag and then continue on her way. Maybe he is portraying her as she would have had to appear in front of the guards as she made her way "to prayer"? Or maybe not.

I agree with what you say about the Caravaggio - his Judith looks like she couldn't quite get the energy up to kill a fly - as it is she sets about cutting off Holofernes head as if she's bitten into a lemon. Love it. He obviously chose the wrong person for his model there!!

I find the whole evolution of Judith's portrayal fascinating - not just for Judith's body language but for how men have portrayed her. Artemesia, I think, displays real feeling and a realism that is new, but it is so interesting that instead of Judith's skill in tricking Holofernes the later paintings increasingly depict her as a depraved seductress; a revisit of Eve tempting Adam and bringing about the fall - women using their wiles to bring men down.

It seems like the exact reverse of the attitudes that you would expect - increased sexualisation of women instead of less. I too dislike the Klimt and think his and Stuck's tell us more about the artists than Judith. I know they all do that but those are the ones I dislike the most apart from - yes the same one as you - the Wiley one.

I think that one is offensive really. I wondered why a woman would portray a black Judith beheading another woman albeit a white one, I thought she would choose a white man if it had to be one or the other, and then I realised that Wiley is a man.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:26 pm

This is a fascinating history. I too have always disliked the Klimt piece but in a train wreck sort of way find it really interesting. It is telling how sexualized these depictions evolved or devolved over the years, though one assumes seduction involves this explicitly. Another man falling into the tender trap. Sexuality used as a weapon of war. It happens all around us even today.

I love the contrasting interpretations with the fair and chaste maiden as opposed to some of the others where it is nearly surgical. I was most intrigued for some reason by the Vasari where Judith is adorned like a warrior and is muscular - perhaps depicting an equal in all ways with the coating of the soft skin of a woman.

Thanks so much for gathering and sharing this with us, Mz. K!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:35 am

Pandora's Box

Whilst on the latest FutureLearn course on Fairy Tales, Mz Lori mentioned how she loved the story and visuals of Pandora's Box and we thought it would be lovely to explore the story and art inspired by it.

~ John William Waterhouse

Such a gorgeous painting of irresistible curiosity. Just a tiny little peep, it can't hurt, can it? The whole composition and overall effect is just stunning. The box is perfect.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:58 pm

A "Pandora's box" is a metaphor in our modern languages, and the proverbial phrase refers to a source of endless complications or trouble arising from a single, simple miscalculation. Pandora's story comes to us from ancient Greek mythology, specifically a set of epic poems by Hesiod, called the 'Theogony' and 'Works and Days'. Written during the 7th century BC, these poems relate how the gods came to create Pandora and how the gift Zeus gave her ultimately ends the Golden Age of humankind.

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-was-pandoras-box-118577

"Golden Age" denotes a period of primordial peace, harmony, stability, and prosperity. During this age, peace and harmony prevailed in that men did not have to work to feed themselves for the earth provided food in abundance.

The Golden age as described by Hesiod was an age where all humans were created directly by the Olympian gods. There were no women in their ranks, they couldn't reproduce. The men lived to a very old age with a youthful appearance, eventually dying peacefully, with spirits living on as "guardians".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age

According to Hesiod, this is how Pandora was created, and what Zeus intended:

[54]... I will give men as the price for fire an evil thing in which they may all be glad of heart while they embrace their own destruction.'

[60] So said the father of men and gods, and laughed aloud. And he bade famous Hephaestus make haste and mix earth with water and to put in it the voice and strength of human kind, and fashion a sweet, lovely maiden-shape, like to the immortal goddesses in face; and Athene to teach her needlework and the weaving of the varied web; and golden Aphrodite to shed grace upon her head and cruel longing and cares that weary the limbs. And he charged Hermes the guide, the Slayer of Argus, to put in her a shameless mind and a deceitful nature.

[69] So he ordered. And they obeyed the lord Zeus the son of Cronos. Forthwith the famous Lame God moulded clay in the likeness of a modest maid, as the son of Cronos purposed. And the goddess bright-eyed Athene girded and clothed her, and the divine Graces and queenly Persuasion put necklaces of gold upon her, and the rich-haired Hours crowned her head with spring flowers. And Pallas Athene bedecked her form with all manners of finery. Also the Guide, the Slayer of Argus, contrived within her lies and crafty words and a deceitful nature at the will of loud thundering Zeus, and the Herald of the gods put speech in her. And he called this woman Pandora (All Endowed), because all they who dwelt on Olympus gave each a gift, a plague to men who eat bread.”

https://www.theoi.com/Text/HesiodWorksDays.html

~ John D Batten 'That Creation of Pandora' 1913

Pandora was to be the first of a race of women, the first bride and a great misery who would live with mortal men as companions only in times of plenty, and desert them when times became difficult. Her name means both "she who gives all gifts" and "she who was given all gifts".

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-was-pandoras-box-118577

A charming picture of the first woman? Created with the idea of revenge? A deceitful irresistible beauty designed to bring men misery? Lovely. Thanks, Zeus. :roll:

So when it comes to Pandora opening the jar of evils unable to resist her curiosity- how much can we blame her? Did she have free agency? Was she created this way? To give in to her selfish desires and be cunning and disobedient? She was only going to have a little peep? What harm could that do?

There’s striking parallels between Pandora opening the lid of the jar of evils and Eve taking her bite of the apple from the tree of knowledge in the garden of Eden. Exploring this could also be very interesting. But back to Pandora for now:

I remember, as a child, I was fascinated by the drama of her inner turmoil about peeping or not. I still think that’s a wonderful part as we can all relate so well. I’m sure even men can.

What fascinated you about this story as a child?

How about now?

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:35 pm

A fabulous illustration, so unlike any other:

~ Arthur Rackham

According to Hesiod, when Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus, the king of the gods, took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Pandora opened a jar left in her care containing sickness, death and many other unspecified evils which were then released into the world. Though she hastened to close the container, only one thing was left behind – usually translated as Hope, though it could also have the pessimistic meaning of "deceptive expectation".

From this story has grown the idiom "to open a Pandora's box", meaning to do or start something that will cause many unforeseen problems. A modern, more colloquial equivalent is "to open a can of worms".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_box

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:07 pm

The word translated as "box" was actually a large jar (πίθος pithos) in Greek. Pithoi were used for storage of wine, oil, grain or other provisions, or, ritually, as a container for a human body for burying, from which it was believed souls escaped and necessarily returned. Many scholars see a close analogy between Pandora herself, who was made from clay, and the clay jar which dispenses evils.

A pithos from Crete c.675 BC

The mistranslation of pithos is usually attributed to the 16th century humanist Erasmus who, in his Latin account of the story of Pandora, changed the Greek pithos to pyxis, meaning "box".

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:17 pm

So, some of the biggest questions in this story are: what do we make of 'Hope' remaining trapped in the box? Is that a good thing? Why was Hope in there the first place? Is Hope something to cherish? A positive attitude, a looking forward? Or is it a thing to be avoided? A 'deceptive expectation'? In which case should it stay trapped? But don't humans hope anyway? So did it escape from the box after all? Or if it is indeed trapped for good, in the final twist of this terrible revenge story, so that people can't even have Hope to help them amidst all the misery released into the world? Is Hope kept safe for people in the jar or is it kept away from them? Hm. Lots of questions!

As a child, I’m pretty sure I thought ‘well, that’s too bad, but at least we still have hope’ but now I can see this ending (and the whole story) is a lot more complicated than that.

Still, the most important part (and I guess the moral) of the story for me as a child was that uncontrollable curiosity can result in terrible consequences.

Now I’m beginning to realise how there’s so much more to this story.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:29 pm

M. L. West: "Hope's retention in the jar is comforting, and we are to be thankful for this antidote to our present ills."

Mark Griffith: "Hope seems to be a blessing withheld from men so that their life should be the more dreary and depressing."

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:33 pm

The second interpretation is certainly the more logical, as Hope is still trapped in the same place where bad things have escaped from, and it depicts an extremely dire situation.

So should we flip it round? Only Hope is left “preserved” in the jar? Has Pandora managed to save us after all? Our world, ridden with so many evils, is somehow still thriving, because there's something about the human spirit that renders it indestructible. Is it because at least we have Hope?

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm

“Later in the poem Hesiod writes that hope is empty and no good and makes humanity lazy by taking away their industriousness, making them prone to evil.

In 'Human, All Too Human', philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche argued that "Zeus did not want man to throw his life away, no matter how much the other evils might torment him, but rather to go on letting himself be tormented anew. To that end, he gives man hope. In truth, it is the most evil of evils because it prolongs man's torment."

Dark as it is, this seems to make a lot of sense. In which case Pandora has saved us from hope - a ridiculous and unrealistic expectation that things can ever get better.

It feels like this interpretation seems to be closest to the intended...

But this cynical and dark depiction of hope sounds all too familiar. Has it escaped after all?

Is Hope then a multifaceted thing? Can uplift and motivate, but also make you fall harder each time another bad thing happens? Was this exactly Zeus’ intention? Sounds about right?

What do you think?

• Information