Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Art Potpourri

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:52 am

Oh, the crazy playful human spirit! Wow. What a Labour of Love (and Jelly Beans!)

There's a French artist I follow on Instagram, who recreates famous paintings using natural materials, such as leaves and petals! Here is a link to one of her pieces, this is a Chagall interpretation!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCUKdYzq-fb ... vpmfqcoyqs

NurseRatched

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:49 pm

I could never use food as a medium for art😄

I will check out the Instagram link, but my favorite Instagram artist floats amongst us in the Harbour, AGI...🥰❤️😘🥰❤️😘🥰

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:39 am

Moonchime

Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:08 am

Fortunately I'm very particular about which jelly beans I like, so some flavours I could happily sacrifice in the pursuit of excellence :57:
How many do you think were lost in the creation process?

Loving that Instagram link - I love that sort of messing about with well known art in a different format. :72:

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:11 pm

Art that brings a twist and a smile. Yes, the human spirit on display!

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:38 am

Speaking of girl power...

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:07 pm

:57: Resourceful!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:52 pm

One of my grand discoveries in the Musee d’Orsay a couple of weeks ago…

A painting from 1893 by American painter T Alexander Harrison, who spent most of his career in Paris.

It’s titled ‘Solitude’. It feels a very positive painting to me, a celebration of strength and integrity, revelling in being alone, a bit of a queen of the castle feeling. I loved it.

Moonchime

Tue May 16, 2023 5:59 am

I agree that it radiates a feeling of positivity. The figure itself is not large but somehow owns the space and creates an atmosphere of complete contentment and peace.

I also love the colours - the wonderful inky shades of the water and trees contrasting with the assertive palor of the woman standing so confidently on the boat. A beautiful composition. Thank you Dee - I've been to that Gallery but it is so easy to miss things so how lovely to focus on this painting.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed May 17, 2023 3:59 pm

Thanks for sharing 'Solitude' ~ I feel the freedom and power. I must admit this is my favorite. I've had fun looking through collections of T.A. Harrison and see he has a deep fascination with water. I never tire of shorelines and moonlight.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2023 11:07 am

Artist Ron Hicks from the wonderful gallery site Arcadia Contemporary.

"Representational painter Ron Hicks’s figures and interiors seek to achieve a balance between revealing too much detail and revealing too little, reviving many of the artistic considerations of 19th-century French impressionism. Perhaps as an antidote to this tension, Hicks emphasizes the forms and light of a particular space and sitter. “I am a shape guy, he says. “By that I mean I see things more in terms of shape rather than the objects or people. Everything is about shape, medium shape vs. large shape, lighter shape vs. darker shape.” His paintings have an emotional and moody tone, which he achieves through his vigorous brushstrokes and his use of multiple shades of gray."

There are so many wonderful exhibitions right now by various talented artists there right now!

https://arcadiacontemporary.com/exhibitions/

Arcadia Fine Arts was founded in 2001 with a mission to exhibit highly skilled, representational artists. Originally located in the center of Manhattan’s creative, Soho District, the gallery attained international renown for featuring works that revealed their creators’ ability to paint and draw well in concert with unique, signature styles. In 2014 the organization evolved into Arcadia Contemporary. This shift of name and focus was motivated by the gallery's desire to spotlight artists who, while using timeless painting and drawing techniques, were focused on creating imagery reflective of the contemporary world.

In 2016 Arcadia Contemporary relocated to Southern California and found a permanent home on Colorado Boulevard, the famed, shopping street in Pasadena’s historic, Old Town District.

Now, after 5 years of featuring extraordinary, representational artwork on the West Coast, Arcadia is delighted to return to New York City in the Spring of 2021 with a new, showcase gallery on West Broadway in the very heart of Soho’s art district. Arcadia Contemporary proudly maintains its commitment to presenting virtuoso, realist works from an international array of artists who are creating genuinely unique, timeless and collectible artwork.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri May 19, 2023 6:53 pm

I love these paintings from the Arcadia Contemporary. Right up my street.

The girl with the fun hair and sunglasses with the woods and sky reflected, the play with greens and blues and the rose as counterpoint, a really pleasing composition.

Also love the melancholy of the embracing couple, the textures, and her expression especially - as I find his slightly unsettling.

The other pictures hanging on the walls look intriguing too.

Thanks for sharing, Lori.

This is my kind of art, I love the ethos of the gallery. Representational art with a contemporary feel and a nod to the impressionists. Sounds about perfect.

• Information