Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Beautiful Digital Collaborations

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 pm

Long gone the days when the only way you could make music with other people was to be with them together in the same space, at the same time... There are some amazing collaborations taking place in the music world these days even between artists who might never actually meet in person!

Here is the essence of the project in I minute:

If you now want to know about it in a little more detail, here is a 5 minute trailer:

If you'd rather read it, here is a brief description from the creators themselves:

"We wanted to create a project that would bring together as many musicians as we could – an impractical task in the real world but not in the digital world of sampling! So taking recording equipment with us on nearly every gig for 5 years, we filmed hundreds of musicians from countries, amongst many others, Brazil and Mexico to Senegal in West Africa, across Europe, China and Kazakhstan in Asia and even Egypt during the revolution. We then cut up thousands of recorded samples, creating new music, recontextualising musicians as if they played together, when in reality none of them ever met or heard recordings from each other.

No tracks were written beforehand, the samples would dictate the direction in the studio, no musicians played in a pre-defined key, they all just improvised and our creative process was simply to just see which samples worked together. Then afterwards, in some cases, we wrote or collaborated and added lyrics. Orchestra of Samples is an exploration into serendipity and musical probability, it’s about bringing people together who wouldn’t normally perform together, and more to the point their instruments which wouldn’t normally be heard together!"

Find out more:

http://www.orchestraofsamples.com/about/

I saw them a couple of days ago performing an hour long set at WOMAD. Not only the music was brilliant, vibrant and made everyone dance... the performance was simply exhilarating. As the samples were brought in, the little windows on the screen behind the band opened up to reveal the musicians playing, singing, and it felt like they were actually "present". The prerecorded samples were accompanied by some live guitar and percussion on stage. Beyond the masterfully crafted music, the concept itself was just so beautiful and uplifting, you just couldn't help but fall in love with it all.

I've found a really good quality recording of one of their full gigs in Rome, from 2014. (A very subdued audience, if I may say, but at least they don't interfere with the sound.) If you don't have time to listen to it all, you can always just "sample" it, :lol:

My favourites:

The introduction and 'Easter Baschet' straight after.
'Sundown (That's a fact)', starting at 17:50
'Beachcoma', starting at 32:39

NurseRatched

Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:00 pm

OK, I completely get it now! Brilliant concept. Just incredible! Must hear more when I don't have so much WORK to do. :twisted: I have heard of one other group (Timesbold) who does a slightly similar thing with their music on a much smaller scale. The members of the band don't even live in the same town. Ain't technology amazing? Thanks, will come back in this "room" when I have more time.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Great. Whenever you like, NR. The room is not going anywhere. :-D

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm just trying to look up Timesbold, is this the band? It doesn't sound like sampling, but I quite like this song.

NurseRatched

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 pm

Yes, that's the band! Good song, too. My bad..a clarification. The muscians play the different instruments, but it's my understanding they create the song electronically, meaning they don't live in the same town & go record as a band. They have separate projects going on, but the music is created online. They have toured in the past, and they are writing new material now.

So, it is different than Orchestra of Sounds because they are intentionally playing a song they wrote. Orchestra of Sounds is just brilliant. I have never seen such extreme creativity take on that form! You are SO lucky to be able to see all this great music! What kind of minds can piece together songs like that?

Another Timesbold; I really like the strings on this one..

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 pm

This is brilliant. Love it. Such great cello in it, also the various electronica sounds mixed in, so atmospheric. I really liked that little instrumental afterthought at the end as well. Thank you for this, NR, such nice discovery. :x Must probe further with this band.
Spoiler:
It's also further inspiration for us to produce music of our own like this. Lay a track, then send it on, add a track and pass it back, or onto someone else... like a relay story, but all voices will speak together in the end? Like it. Like it a lot! Do you write your own music, Mz NR?

NurseRatched

Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Spoiler:
I have never tried..I'm afraid I am more of a mynah bird. I don't read music (I had a very mean piano teacher for 6 months until I begged my Mom to let me quit-) but love harmonies and play piano/guitar by ear mostly. Surrounded by music my whole life in choirs and small gigs with friends. I would be willing to give it a try; Lori has been encouraging me to do Garage Band. I would describe my voice as nothing special, but I prefer to do harmonies! Love to sing in the car, if that counts-LOL

I am really intrigued by your career and obvious love/admiration for all kinds of music. I am anxious to hear more about what you play! (Of course, in your own time...no rush out here in cyberspace :035: ---I do find it a test to work within the confines of the online world, only because I am so curious & enjoying all these new adventures so intensely!!)

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:25 am

Spoiler:
Everything counts. And Lori has already told me you have an amazing voice and play beautifully, so...Reading sheet music is only one skill set, and I'd say it ranks rather low at what makes a musician a musician. I hope you will have a go at GarageBand, it's so much fun, and so versatile. It's like most things. Just need to jump in.

I'm just a keen amateur at everything I do, but luckily lack inhibition, so I'm happy to have a go at most things and own my mediocrity. It used to bother me, but I got over it. I play a bit of piano and very basic guitar. Recorders, bit of flute. Bit of balafon. I also play the djembe, not very well, but enough to teach kids and run drum circles, I'm good at keeping people together! I love singing, but again, no formal training other than singing in choirs all through my life as well like you. I now run several children's choirs, and have an adult choir as well. My approach is all about having fun with music and singing. I don't audition and never turn anyone away.

Unlike you, I was very lucky to have an excellent piano teacher as a youngster, who encouraged me to make up my own music and started every lesson by asking to show her what I've come up with. So I've been dabbling with making things up on and off all my life, but it's only recently and largely due to Lori's* encouragement that I've got back into it a bit more seriously.

* She's very good at encouraging. And such an inspiration, as you know. So, I hope she will succeed in getting you to try GB too. I also think you definitely should!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:26 pm

Well this is all rather pleasant. My cooking accompanion:

When I Come Around - Timesbold

NurseRatched

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Spoiler:
I love the fact that you lead choirs---& no auditions! Bravo for that. Everyone deserves a chance at the joy singing with others brings to the soul.

I have a friend I may invite here eventully. She is steeped in African music & I know she would fit into other threads. She was introduced to the marimba at my bachelorette party in 1994. Fell hard for that instrument & played in a professional band for years! Those life-changing moments just floor me! Similar to you and the djembe.
Happy you are liking Timesbold! I am back in Radiohead land!😂👍🏼

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 am

Not a bad place! :08:
My ass is firmly planted in there too, as you know, just can't help drawing little circles with my toe elsewhere, with all this temptation.

Heading back to build our Radiohead Cathedral later on. :035:
Spoiler:
Your friend and the marimba...sounds like a beautiful love story, and by all means invite her!
Now do tell how you got to have a marimba at your bachelorette party?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:17 am

This is a wonderful project, (another discovery from WOMAD):

1 Giant Leap

"1 Giant Leap is a British electronic music duo consisting of the two principal artists, Jamie Catto (Faithless founding member) and Duncan Bridgeman.

Based in the UK, the two musicians set out to create a multimedia project that would encompass a CD, DVD and cinematic presentation that would offer a complete artistic statement. The project offers music, digital video footage shot over the course of six months by Catto and Bridgeman, images, rhythms and spoken word content.

The CD and DVD were released in 2002. It features contributions from Dennis Hopper, Kurt Vonnegut, Michael Stipe, Robbie Williams, Eddi Reader, Tom Robbins, Brian Eno, Baaba Maal, Speech, Asha Bhosle, Neneh Cherry, Anita Roddick, Michael Franti, Zap Mama, and other artists and authors. The band's theme for the project is "Unity Through Diversity".

There is a followup double album from 2008 "What About Me?" that took four years to make."

From Wikipedia.

The first album is pure gold from start to finish. This is the first track, a duet with Maxi Jazz and Robbie Williams. I love this so much.

Another beautiful track, featuring Michael Stipe:

If you would like to hear more:

And here is the entire film:

• Information