Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

NurseRatched's Desert Island Discs

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:33 am

Some days, the cello is what you need. It can't be all margaritas and mojitos on the island. Here is a link to this musician: https://www.thatcelloguy.com/

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:36 am

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:39 am

Yeah, thanks, Dee; I can't get around this song. It just has a hold on me... :x

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:41 am

I think the sad doll is posting all these songs today! A little melancholy for some reason.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:36 am

What a beautiful space this is... melancholy is just perfectly fitting my mood too. Samuel Barber's Adagio... you already know about my past obsession with Platoon. So this is the soundtrack to the closing scenes of the film, when my heart broke every time, desperately and utterly irrationally :017: expecting a different ending, yet Elias died each time and this music cuts so deep even without those images, but together they are lethal, and in my mind now forever entwined.

The chords in Breathe... wow, what a complex musical piece this is, looking at the breakdown of it on just a piano. Awesome.

And fancy seeing 'The Numbers' here!!! Isn't that song a wonderful trip? Don't you just love that feeling when you show someone a piece of music that is precious to you and it becomes one of their favourites too? I'm so happy you have connected with this song, Mz NR! :x

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:53 am

I do love that. And because of you and Lori, we are just connecting all over the planet. What a gift!

The adagio in Platoon-I had completely forgotten about that piece in the movie. Ugh, so heart-wrenching. I can't get over how emotive the music is. I must watch that movie again.

I was prepared to write off "Breathe"; nope, it's quite masterful.

PS: Quite off the subject, but how is your daughter doing? Has she been back for a visit?

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Oh, sweet of you to ask. There are many answers to that question depending on the time of day!
Spoiler:
On the whole... great. Mostly brilliant. Making most of her opportunities, doing well with her studies, making friends, organising her life with spectacular efficiency. But it's also a bumpy ride with dips of homesickness and exhaustion and some unpleasant learning curves (welcome to adulthood!). She's been back once, that was wonderful but very short with tearful goodbyes. She'll have a whole week next time, in a couple weeks. Time is whizzing by.

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Good for her! One giant leap forward into life. Transitions are always so difficult; happy that she will be home a bit longer next time. :x

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Samuel Barber....what is more beautiful, I ask? The cello is one of the finest of all creations. Absolutely what I needed right now.

NurseRatched

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:00 pm

Lori wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:13 pm
Samuel Barber....what is more beautiful, I ask? The cello is one of the finest of all creations. Absolutely what I needed right now.
We just watched "The Elephant Man" (another masterfully done movie!) and the Adagio plays during the last scene of the movie...killer.

NurseRatched

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Love this sparse, haunting song about my home state.

NurseRatched

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:13 pm

This is an old one off their 3rd album. (I only know it (and love it) because of the show "Black Mirror", which I'd forgotten about; Dee posted a version in the Radiohead Cathedral.) It's used at the end of a highly disturbing episode called "Shut Up and Dance".

• Information