Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Iris's Desert Island Discs

Iris

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 am

I've been thinking about this all last night and today whilst busying myself with autumnal forages in the kitchen. It seems so very self-indulgent and, surprisingly, I feel quite vulnerable exposing my chosen musical gems. I've concluded, however, that a little self-spoiling and opening up is cathartic and healing. So, here I go . . . . .

My Yiddishe Mama is a song my mother would frequently be asked to sing (and she took any opportunity to do so!) and so I was treated to her practising this during her daily chores. Whilst I did NOT appreciate her singing in my youth (understatement - I would shrivel away with embarrassment), it has to be said that she had a rich and powerful voice, full of the emotion she couldn't readily express elsewhere. She was not Jewish, but was often mistaken for being so and relished this. She was a performer to the core, on stage and off. I only wish I had a recording of her rendition of this, though listening has transported me back to childhood, the image and sound of her almost palpable.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:25 am

Iris - thank you for sharing this amazing memory. The emotion and intent of this song brought tears to my eyes. I envisioned how it would be if my own mother would sing it. Really powerful. It is sad you have no recording, but it is obviously written on your heart.

The end in Sophie Tucker's version is in German. May I ask if your mother completed any verses in another language? Yiddish perhaps?

My Yiddishe Momme
Of things I should be thankful for I'd had a goodly share
And as I sit here in the comfort of my cosy chair
My fancy takes me to a humble eastside tenement
three flights up in the rear to where my childhood days were spent
It wasn't much like Paradise but amid the dirt and all
There sat the sweetest angel, one that I fondly call

My yiddishe momme I need her more than ever now
My yiddishe momme I'd love to kiss that wrinkled brow
I long to hold her hands once more as in days gone by
and ask her to forgive me for things I did that made her cry

How few were her pleasures, she never cared for fashion's styles
Her jewels and treasures, she found them in her baby's smiles
oh, I know that I owe what I am today
to that dear little lady so old and gray
to that wonderful yiddishe momme of mine

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 am

What a beautifully emotional opening to your music thread, Mz Iris. Thank you for drawing us into the magic of it all: your mother singing it doing her chores whilst thinking of her momma, and now you're listening to it, thinking of your own mother. Isn't it wonderful how music can transport us so?

Looking forward to your next instalment already,
Mz Iris!

Iris

Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Thank you, Lori and Dee, for indulging me the privilege of showcasing my first desert island disc and for your kind words. Lori, though Sophie Tucker sang the end in German, my mother always stuck to the English. I'm sure she'd have loved to have sung in Yiddish but she was a singer/performer and had neither the knowledge nor opportunity to learn other languages.

Interestingly, I prefer the Charles Aznavour version in terms of the musical accompaniment.
And, coincidentally, my mother's brother was Aznavour's percussionist for some time. And so the circle is completed.

Iris

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:39 pm

Mylene Farmer was played constantly during a group holiday with my (now) husband on a barge drifting along the Canal du Midi, France. We were in our twenties, relishing the carefree wanderings through sun-drenched villages, vineyards and castles. I prefered listening to her haunting tone than watching her. Mylene was a big part of our fortnight, though I'm still trying to get to grips with some of her lyrics . . . .

I Tell You Everything

Silent
Wonderful
In this unstable tonight
Listening to the wind
Heiress
Passenger
Of my cursed days
So I am that
My love
I tell you everything
You fill my life
At infinity
Abuse of destiny
Knocking at my door
I put my hand
On my forehead
On my breasts
If by adventure
I left the world
You are my blood
My double lover
My DNA
And on your sweater
I will embroidery a M
To convince our bloods
That mix with the wind
My DNA
Naked
Imprisoned
In this bloody game
I tell you all away
Also calm
Like a wave
I am one who forgives within time
Absents
My love
I tell you everything
You populate my life
At infinity
Abuse of destiny
Knocking at my door
I put my hand
On my forehead
On my breasts

Iris

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:04 pm

A cappella singing has always impressed and astounded me. When I came across Pentatonix, I was blown away. The variety of their repertoire is amazing. Their harmonies send me somewhere beyond the mundane. The beatboxing makes me smile from the inside out. Oh, which one to choose? Although it's not the most uplifting, this track causes me to stop in my tracks and simply listen and feel.

Also, very special as we took our then 7 year old to his first gig in London to see Pentatonix!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Such a trip, this thread, Mz Iris, and just look at your pretty avatar!

Yes, the violin in Monsieur Aznavour's rendition of the Yiddish Mama is so very satisfying.

A very impressive Pentatonix song, I enjoy this group immensely too. Last year we did their "Sing!" in my kids choirs, they loved it too. I think that would be my favourite for now.

But this French song, by Mylene...I've never heard it before, and it has completely floored me. What a mesmerisingly beautiful song. Yes, the lyrics are somewhat psychedelic, but that just adds to its otherwordliness. I love it, and thank you so much for introducing me to her music. Must explore her further. Any other recommendations please?

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Really beautiful thread! The video was not available to U.S. veiwers, but I found it on Vimeo. She has such a wonderful textured yet sweet voice. The video is quite stunning too. I love the back story of this being the soundtrack to a youthful excursion. Iris, I hope you don't mind me posting it for those of us across the pond. (I think my own husband will benefit, as this makes my hands want to rub a back!)

phpBB [media]

P.S. Pentatonix is always a fun ride.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 am

I've had this song playing on a loop this morning.
It's clearly about some insatiable longing...for what exactly? A past lover? Looking at the video it feels so much more universal than that, like 'youth' itself. Thinking about a group of funloving youngsters on a barge playing this very song... that's settled in my mind. Like it was already laced with nostalgia at the moment of living it.

NurseRatched

Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello, Iris! I am still on Sophie Tucker over here! I have never heard that song before; the lyrics are quite something. So poetic and touching, especially because I am a mom and I have an aging mother. Thanks for the introduction. I was reading about Sophie Tucker. She was an amazing woman; outrageous & unconventional with quite the business sense. A soldier during World War II wrote to tell her that his platoon blasted one of Tucker’s most famous recordings (happens to be this song) from speakers over the rubble of Berlin for eight straight hours! That must have gone over well with the Germans. ;)

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:17 pm

That's a fantastic story, NR! Wow!

Iris

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Lori wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm
Really beautiful thread! The video was not available to U.S. veiwers, but I found it on Vimeo. She has such a wonderful textured yet sweet voice. The video is quite stunning too. I love the back story of this being the soundtrack to a youthful excursion. Iris, I hope you don't mind me posting it for those of us across the pond. (I think my own husband will benefit, as this makes my hands want to rub a back!)

phpBB [media]

P.S. Pentatonix is always a fun ride.
Thank you so much for helping out our US harbourers, Lori. And love that your husband gets a bonus too!

• Information