Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Dee's Desert Island Discs

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I'm so glad you liked them, Mz NR! They are both so close to my heart!

Another favourite tonight: 'The Drugs Don't Work' by The Verve, - such a beautiful song. I thought of this whilst reading 'The Handmaid's Tale'...
("I know I'll see your face again..." :cry: )

Richard Ashcroft has an amazing voice and I find him so engaging when he sings with his eyes closed, he completely draws me in.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Ennio Morricone... Solely responsible for many Sunday mornings of my childhood spent glued to the tv watching Spagetti Western movies. Hungarian radio also played Morricone between current Italian pop hits and the Beatles, (we are a very eclectic folk for sure.)

But this haunting piece, 'Gabriel's Oboe' from 'The Mission', has been wrapped in a new meaning and grief for me, as 12 years ago I accompanied my friend (registered as Mary here) who played the oboe so beautifully, as our farewell at the funeral of another friend who died of cancer, leaving her 5 year old daughter behind. We really struggled to get to the end of the piece without breaking down in tears.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:25 am

Great music, Dee! Loving the Algerian beat and also the textured heart ripping cello pieces. Such talent and a life taken too painfully too soon. This is such a life-enhancing thread. Thanks PIC!!

NurseRatched

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Oh, my what a tragic picture that paints! So heartbreaking for you all. How sorrowful to play at a friend's funeral! I would never have the guts to do it. This has always been a favorite piece from that soundtrack. Just beautiful :x

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:20 pm

That is so sad, Dee. What a beautiful tribute and way to walk a friend out of this life. How is her 17 year old now?

The oboe is a beautiful instrument under skilled hands. Not an easy instrument, as I know first-hand trying to play it in elementary school.

How lucky your friend was to have you both...

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:40 am

The oboe is just magical. My husband's favourite instrument. How far did you get with it, Lori?

I wasn't a very close friend with her. We sang in the same choir and sat together, the three of us. She was a close friend and nextdoor neighbour of Mary though. We were getting closer with their family towards the end, and afterwards, the father and daughter have become part of our "camping gang", a bunch of families with young kids. This is when I really got to know them. It was heartbreaking times. Sadly, they moved away shortly. We still keep in touch. How is our 17 year old doing? She had some very tough years. Now she's thriving. She's beautiful, very smart, hardworking and has her father's wicked sense of humour. It's a delight to see her. Her mom has left her letters and cards to open at birthdays and important occasions in the future. She would be so very proud of her. She's becoming an amazing young woman.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:42 am

That is incredibly heartwarming to hear. It sounds as though she has an involved father and the hand of her mother still is guiding her. It is a beautiful thing to see young people come into their own. I’m happy she is doing so well!

Iris

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Dee, I fear you may not be alone on this desert island. I might be getting out my little raft and rowing across the briny to seek out some of your discs! Particularly smitten with Bird and Imogen Heap. Just wallowing in them for now or I may be in danger of over-indulgence musically ;-) Thank you so much for the introduction to some new artists.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:43 pm

It makes me so happy when little rafts are pulled up on the shore. Best part of being on a Desert Island. So glad you're discovering new music. Immy is great.

And Mz Lori's 'Bird'... now that's something entirely exquisite.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm

As 'Melancholy' seems to be the flavour of the day...(right, Mz NR?)

Such a wonderful Tom Waits song, but in the context of the TWD episode it was not only played but partially sung by one of my favourite characters, it was beyond beautiful.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:37 pm

And to complete Beth's songs from The Walking Dead, this one here is another heartbreaker for me. Emily has released it later:

And this is how it played out in the show... one of the hundreds of reasons why I love The Walking Dead:

:73:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pm

And just one more TWD soundtrack then.
The amazing Blackbird Song by Lee DeWyze.

Oh, I love the violin here as much as the voice and the lyrics.

• Information