Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Zaha Hadid

Moonchime

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:20 am

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... es-aged-65

The video on this site is a good introduction and gives you some idea of some of the problems she came up against as a woman in a man's world.

London Aquatics Centre

Heydar Alivayev Centre Azerbaijan

Centre Pompidou in Metz, France

The Wangjing SOHO office complex in Beijing

Cable railway Austria

Abu Dhabi Performing Arts Centre

I think she'd be great friends with Hundertwasser as she's known as Queen of the Curve! Some of her early work does have more straight lines, as do her paintings, but it is the sweep of her constructions that impresses me and the play of light in some of the public places. It's also worth checking out some of her designs that have not yet being completed such as the olympic centre in Japan. One of the Soho centres in China is supposed to represent sails against the sky and looks beautiful lit up from above.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Absolutely incredible! I was so surprised I hadn't known of her work with these buildings, that is until I saw the aquatic center in London used during the Olympics. I love that building and recognized it immediately. The three buildings in Beijing are crazy amazing. Some of her work is so pleasingly sleek and some netherworldly, nearly like spacecrafts. Working in some of the environments she sculpted would spawn creativity.

I looked up some of her art. I see the influence, but was a bit surprised that curves were not the focus - generally hard shard-like lines.

Thanks for sharing this Mz. M. I'm sad she is no longer with us. Really enjoyable!

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:09 am

These buildings are incredible. Thank you so much for introducing this amazing architect in this thread here, Moonchime. I've had a quick glimpse at her portfolio... breathtaking. Very much looking forward to exploring her further.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 am

Dongdaemun Design Plaza, Seoul

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:54 am

Riverside Museum, Glasgow

Moonchime

Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:17 am

The Seoul building is just incredible isn't it and really does look just a like a spaceship, something Lori noticed in her work too. I love the sweep of her lines, although in the Riverside Museum her straight lines bring her paintings to mind, many of which seem so full of broken pieces and not so reminiscent of the curves she used in structures. There's an advert on TV which has one of her buildings in it but I can't remember what it is advertising. Will try to note it down.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:18 am

Opened in 2017, Opus Tower, Dubai:

Moonchime

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:33 am

crikey I don't think I've seen the Opus Tower before - amazing! I just love the shapes that have been created in the middle of the building and don't they look superb at night! Sort of plays around with your mind. Great find Dee. I'd forgotten how much I like her work.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:37 am

It's a nice amazing building/concept. Such a shame she has not lived to see her design come to life. :(

• Information