Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

3x06 "Household"

DawnFae

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:20 pm

The Handmaid's Tale 3x06 Promo

DawnFae

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 am

The Handmaid's Tale 3x06 Inside "Household" (HD) Season 3 Episode 6 Inside

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:26 am

Good gracious. What an incredible episode. I think it requires a rewatch, there is just so much to process here, and so many phenomenal scenes.

Highlights:

June with the decapitated statue of Lincoln. Gaining inspiration and strength from the clenched fist.

The showdown between June and Serena. Incredibly well written and acted. It felt like a real breakup. (But there again, we have been here before with these two characters. Not a complete reset, but a huge relapse in their relationship. And maybe, for the truth of what June said about Serena being empty, cruel and unable to love, maybe there is no hope left for Serena to redeem herself. She has all these chances and then she always backpedals.)

When June asks Aunt Lydia: "Do you want to silence us all?" The way she said that, it just cut so deep, my god, this actress. And even Aunt Lydia, who's capable of so much cruelty when it comes to punishment, somehow breaks at the DC fashion of silencing their Handmaids as a preemptive measure. It seems this is a step too far even for Aunt Lydia, which seems somewhat hypocritical given the fact she has forced her "girls" into obedience by routinely applied violence and torture. But Aunt Lydia is in the middle of some major meltdown, following Emily's attack. I look forward to where this is all going with her, and the long overdue backstory we have been promised.

The creepy household of the chief commander in DC. And the prospect of Fred probably having to put out for him for his promotion, that's just a wicked twist. Karma is a bitch, Waterford. :72:

June becoming so well known across Gilead is a very good thing for the future when she will finally be able to lead her "red army".

Confusing Things:

Horrific and effective those mouth clips are, we can't help wondering about the implications. Are they permanent or removable? How do these women eat? Perform oral hygiene? Surely they can't be expected to just eat everything pulped, with a straw? The health of Handmaids seemed paramount in the whole setup. Regular walks, fresh air, healthy diet, high standards of personal hygiene. So what's going on here?

Nick. What the hell has just happened here? Has he betrayed-betrayed June or has he got a long-term agenda of his own? Getting to the top of the military and orchestrate a coup? The lack of communication between him and June is so frustrating.

Meh Moments:

All the wing shots. Overdone. I have such high expectations of the cinematography of this show, that I don't want to see cliches like this. Or the Hollywood scene with Serena spinning the baby round to sentimental music. Come on. Not these silly pitfalls. The Lincoln statue shots were so much more powerful and original. That is the standard. Right?

Fred trying to be playful with the toy lion and Serena getting all gooey eyed over it. Really? The same man chopped her finger off and betrayed her in every possible way. Fred is just the most repulsive character on this show. I so hope he will get his comeuppance soon. Looks like he will.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:35 am

Dee wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:26 am
Good gracious. What an incredible episode. I think it requires a rewatch, there is just so much to process here, and so many phenomenal scenes.

Highlights:

June with the decapitated statue of Lincoln. Gaining inspiration and strength from the clenched fist.

The showdown between June and Serena. Incredibly well written and acted. It felt like a real breakup. (But there again, we have been here before with these two characters. Not a complete reset, but a huge relapse in their relationship. And maybe, for the truth of what June said about Serena being empty, cruel and unable to love, maybe there is no hope left for Serena to redeem herself. She has all these chances and then she always backpedals.)

Yes! That exchange was simply brilliantly acted by both actors. It was written brilliantly. The tears - biting smiles - cutting words. Truth ringing in the hallowed place of a fallen concept. That Serena will "never be rid of June" is so true. June's life could end and surely she would haunt Serena's thoughts nonstop. Even if she were ultimately to raise Nicole, she would undoubtedly suffer from extreme inadequacy knowing she would never be the woman/mother June could.

When June asks Aunt Lydia: "Do you want to silence us all?" The way she said that, it just cut so deep, my god, this actress. And even Aunt Lydia, who's capable of so much cruelty when it comes to punishment, somehow breaks at the DC fashion of silencing their Handmaids as a preemptive measure. It seems this is a step too far even for Aunt Lydia, which seems somewhat hypocritical given the fact she has forced her "girls" into obedience by routinely applied violence and torture. But Aunt Lydia is in the middle of some major meltdown, following Emily's attack. I look forward to where this is all going with her, and the long overdue backstory we have been promised.

The covering of mouths is added heartbreak. The scene was touching, but part of me always rails against June giving Lydia any information at all about how this all affects June - it feels like future ammunition. We are searching for answers regarding Aunt Lydia in a fractured mind and psyche. It better be something huge that pushed her into this false 'mother/abuser' role.

The creepy household of the chief commander in DC. And the prospect of Fred probably having to put out for him for his promotion, that's just a wicked twist. Karma is a bitch, Waterford. :72:

Ha! My thoughts exactly! The hand on the shoulder. Be a man for the cause, Waterford.

June becoming so well known across Gilead is a very good thing for the future when she will finally be able to lead her "red army".

Confusing Things:

Horrific and effective those mouth clips are, we can't help wondering about the implications. Are they permanent or removable? How do these women eat? Perform oral hygiene? Surely they can't be expected to just eat everything pulped, with a straw? The health of Handmaids seemed paramount in the whole setup. Regular walks, fresh air, healthy diet, high standards of personal hygiene. So what's going on here?

Yes! And what infraction does one have to commit to be relegated to this permanent or semi-permanent state? It is a stunning visual.

Nick. What the hell has just happened here? Has he betrayed-betrayed June or has he got a long-term agenda of his own? Getting to the top of the military and orchestrate a coup? The lack of communication between him and June is so frustrating.

I'm glad you mentioned he could have a positive long-term agenda. It may be he is so entrenched in the resistance that the Swedes/Canadians didn't want to blow his cover and that is why they rejected his involvement. I hope so. The alternative is too sad.

Meh Moments:

All the wing shots. Overdone. I have such high expectations of the cinematography of this show, that I don't want to see cliches like this. Or the Hollywood scene with Serena spinning the baby round to sentimental music. Come on. Not these silly pitfalls. The Lincoln statue shots were so much more powerful and original. That is the standard. Right?

Thank you. I felt it masturbatory and predictable. This was the first time I felt the cinematographers were lazy - but those large wings were probably too fun not to play with. Unfortunately, we saw through it! We are THAT good. Lincoln footage was on par, certainly.

Fred trying to be playful with the toy lion and Serena getting all gooey eyed over it. Really? The same man chopped her finger off and betrayed her in every possible way. Fred is just the most repulsive character on this show. I so hope he will get his comeuppance soon. Looks like he will.

I've a feeling there will be a lot of symbolic parallel situations where Fred is kowtowing to power, both physically and emotionally. He already knows he cannot win at this game. Enter the alpha-male. The stakes are high. Somebody will end up dead. Cringeworthy lion scene and not in a good way.
*bisou-bisou *kiss-kiss

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 am

Truth ringing in the hallowed place of a fallen concept.
I love this.

• Information