Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

9x10 'Omega'

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:51 am

A new arrival at the Hilltop opens up about the leader of a group of mask-wearing savages; a search party sets out on a daring mission to find two missing friends.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:40 am

Now that I've comfortably settled into watching The Walking Dead After Rick (The Sequel), not expecting the show to be something it no longer can be after losing so many beloved characters, I'm enjoying this sequel a lot. The Whisperers and their philosophy are intriguing, the clash of cultures is exciting, and the dilemma Hilltop is facing now is really tough and fresh. Should they hand over the child to her abusive mother in exchange of two of their people? I guess they will have to, and then go and try to rescue her after? Or will they put it to Lydia to decide whether she wanted to go back? If she said no, would her mother accept that decision? Something tells me... that would be a no?

What I liked:

The changing flashbacks, as Lydia recalled them, brainwashed and confused, but finally unearthing the truth.

Daryl was perceptive and smart and an absolute sweetheart dealing with Lydia. :x He was just so sad and beautiful in this episode, god I love him.
It broke my heart to see him re-live his own beatings. But it was awesome to see Daryl opening up enough to start caring about a new person again. He was required by Carol to care about Henry, but allowing himself to care about Lydia is entirely his own doing.

Tara is a fabulous leader, isn't she?

The ending....Alpha is creepy as hell. :o

Kelly is my favourite newbie. Her insistence on looking for Luke I found really moving.

What I didn't like:

Silliness of plot: "let's go and find Luke, we leave at midnight" then "oh, it's too dark, let's go back" I mean, really, writers? Just because they needed someone to lead the Whisperers back to The Hilltop? No better idea has come up? :roll:

Henry's naivety: There is naivety and then there is naivety unique to Henry. I mean, it's ok to give people a chance, even in the Post-Negan world of the apocalypse, but come on, Lydia's people killed Jesus and took two more of their people, and Henry just lets her out of the cell for a stroll WITHOUT WATCHING HIS BACK???? That's not naive, that's just outright idiotic behaviour. He was a split second away from getting his skull crushed by a hammer, even if Daryl was watching and having his back from the sidelines.They should make Henry a little more streetwise, for crying out loud. He was more badass when he was younger!

If the baby crying was the trigger for Lydia accessing her real memories and a moment of clarity, it would have been good to find out why the baby crying was such a powerful trigger. I think they will have to tell us in the next episode.

Overall:

Gotta love a Daryl-centric episode, so yes, I enjoyed this a lot, despite the shortcomings listed above. It was an excellent set-up for a very interesting dilemma that leads us into the episode next week. It's a very difficult situation they're in.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:30 pm

:03:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:16 am

These compilations put a smile on my face every time. Plus they are my only watch-buddies until Lori gets her ass in gear and catches up in here. :57:

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:42 pm

_____________..____________..ass totally sliding into place... (Those are hilarious reaction videos.)

This episode really set up nicely the arrival of Mama Whisperer. This lady could be Negan's perfect match it seems, particularly with their loathing of weakness or perceived weakness. I was wondering if the crying child triggering our young whisperer, Lydia, is due to Mama W simply killing babies as their crying could give away hiding places and they are inherently 'weak'. That Lil' Whisperer felt her mother would not come for her due to the fact historically no one is saved as they were weak to get caught is an interesting twist and will mess with Lil' Lydia Whisperer's allegiances.

Again, Daryl was a sweet grown-up, extending himself and giving breadth to the situation. His sad history marches on, doesn't it? He will always wear his pain. I am still waiting for someone to help shoulder it for him. Volunteers, anyone? I think Norman is doing very well and can seriously help carry the series if given this type of chance.

Tara does rock. Henry was raised better than this. Seriously. Having an open heart doesn't mean an empty head. They've done a disservice to him. Daryl as babysitter is kind of nice, however.

This episode set the next up nicely. Onward!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Hey, Mz Sassy. Fab to have you all caught up, AND excited for what comes next! :08:
This episode really set up nicely the arrival of Mama Whisperer. This lady could be Negan's perfect match it seems, particularly with their loathing of weakness or perceived weakness.
You're so right! I wonder if they will end up pitting them against one another? It would be awesome to see Negan interact with her!!

I was wondering if the crying child triggering our young whisperer, Lydia, is due to Mama W simply killing babies as their crying could give away hiding places and they are inherently 'weak'.

That would make some horrible sense... in which case everything she said about living like animals is bullshit. If babies are not allowed to live? But yes, it would be impossible to fit babies into this lifestyle, without a sheltered base camp, which they don't seem to have if they are on the move all the time? Perhaps they have a camp after all? I wonder what that's like? What possessions do they have? What do they eat? I'm really intrigued to find out more about them.

Yes, it has thrown the spanner in the works that Alpha seems to want Lydia back after all. She really didn't seem to be expecting that.

Totally agree on Tara, Henry and Daryl.
Yes, Norman is doing a great job. The more they let him do and say is the better, obviously. :roll: Thank goodness for Angela Kang.
This babysitter thing is brilliant, and was nicely set up in the Bridge episode, when Aaron told Daryl he would make a great dad one day. Here we go... will he adopt Lydia in the end?

• Information