Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

9x14 'Scars'

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:55 pm

Dee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:06 am
This might be controversial, but I thought this episode was amazing. So brilliant. I have a few issues with it, but on the whole, I've found it an incredibly powerful and moving episode.

The change in Michonne's character after this trauma is perfectly justified and understandable.
Danai is an amazing actress. I can't remember another episode that has made me cry so much. Her grief, her anxiety, her despair, her anger... I've felt every single emotion with her. Such betrayal from an old friend, such cruelty and madness to deal with and then the desperate situation of having to make her way through a bunch of brainwashed murderous little monsters in children's bodies to get to her daughter. The anguish of it all. :03:

Honestly, this was nearly as hard for me as the Glenn episode. The choices presented Michonne were simply unthinkable. Regardless of the situation, no doubt it would forever haunt her as to how it could all have been prevented, etc. The horrific betrayal was beyond comprehension. Obviously, her friend had for all practical purposes gone mad. We've now seen nearly every type of person as a leader...protector...mentor or ultimately tormentor. When the inherently weak lead it is a disaster. Danai is superb. Every heartbreaking emotion was written on her face. The betrayal, the sheer panic, the sickening aftermath. Then, Daryl coming upon her and understanding what had gone down with merely a nod of his head when around them were beheaded children. Of course, he knew the lengths Michonne would have gone through to avoid it all and thus he understood the fallout. So damn sad.

I thought the back and forth between present and past was done superbly well. The pace of the episode was incredible. Even though we knew Judith was gonna be ok after the kidnapping, the tension was near unbearable, because we were focused on Michonne living through this.

"Children are capable of anything" is a terrifying truth. And most alarmingly, they are so easily impressionable. History has provided us with countless horrifying acts from child soldiers.
In a bizarre coincidence, we just watched the season finale of GoT S6, where a gang of children commit murder. Good lord.

The parallel was heavily there with the episode when Carol had to shoot the mentally disturbed Lizzy, who already killed her sister and was about to kill Judith too. It goes against the grain for us all to see children murdered, but in neither situations was there a way out, and these creatures were wildly and lethally dangerous, that cancelled out any warm and fuzzy feelings we might naturally have about children. Too far gone.
Still, Michonne let the last one go. She only killed the ones who were attacking her, and stopping her from getting to Judith. And in a genius editting between present and past, we weren't actually shown it, thankfully.

Thank goodness for small favors. What you say is true. I could hardly stand that scene. There were no winners. That Michonne is walking and talking is a miracle. What an amazing character. I hope this portrayal gets its due in the annals of time. Danai deserves ongoing laud for her work. I almost didn't survive this scene.

The branding was just hideous. It took me a while to process what the fuck that was about. Why not just kill both Michonne and Daryl immediately when they were captured. That would be one of my issues with the episode. Even if that twisted pack leader had this ritual training in place to desensitise the children ("mark your kill, kill your mark" was the mantra, I believe), I found it just a stretch too far, that she would have gone through with it with Michonne, a dear old friend. But perhaps that was exactly the point. She was just that far gone.

My main issue was why they actually took the kids from Alexandria the first place. Or did this crazy woman have such strong "saviour" complex? I think that was the idea. But then why turn on them at the end? :shock: They were in the RV, they couldn't see what was going on. :sign0085:

Exactly. I think I messaged you about the branding as being something that felt a bit contrived in that setting. It was so hard to see...and see from someone Michonne trusted and must have somewhat loved. The ultimate betrayal. Plus, knowing Judith was vulnerable and they were impotent in the moment. I hurt for both our heroes. Again, the acting was superb all around. *deep sighs*

Moving on from the horrific past ...

I loved so many things in this episode. All the mother/daughter scenes, they rang so true. The character of Judith is simply fabulous and the actress who plays her is doing a tremendous job.
I just adore her. The scene with her and Daryl?? She's such an insightful, clever little thing, total badass, and yet, she can still be a vulnerable little kid in need of her mommy too. My heart was certainly put through some turmoil this episode between constant anguish and melting.

Bless the beasts and the children. "Dog" and "Judith" have played an important role in Daryl's psyche. Remember how he always wanted to hold Judith when she was a baby? No one can tell me the man doesn't love deeply...

The Michonne/Negan scene: utterly brilliant. Funny how Negan and Daryl should have this in common: neither treats Judith as a little kid.
Negan yet again came through as genuine, in his respect for Judith, and for Michonne. He really cares about Judith, that much is clear. And it was chilling to hear that he'd indeed told Judith the truth about Glenn and Abraham as well. In an amazing twist of fate, Judith has become his counsellor. Confessing his sins to her obviously helped him purge and better himself. I still don't believe this leopard has changed all his spots, but he clearly has been through some transformation, that is largely due to his attachment to Judith. And it's also obvious, that he has at least some regrets.

To be frank, whilst he was a narcissistic and cruel shit of a man, killing Abraham, even Glenn, was a rather generous let-off after our beloved TF had wiped out one of his outposts, killing people in their sleep. That wasn't Team Family's finest hour either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to excuse Negan from being a sadistic fuck who burnt people and enslaved them. But I do find his current redemption arc believable. 8 years on. And it's compelling.

Oh...JD Morgan...you little Svengali! You have our Dee warming toward you slightly. Sometimes I wonder if another actor were in this role if we would feel anything positive towards him. Let's say the actor who played the Governor played him. I think we would be 100% over it. Kudos to Mr. Morgan with the dimples and drawling deep voice. Now, I'm not accusing anyone of succumbing to his masculine wiles, but I do feel the actor brings such an enticing layering it nearly directs the story line to Negan's advantage. I don't think this level of wantonly giddy cruelty can be fixed, so any redemption arc simply feels to me like a murderer in deep hibernation. He had respect for a lot of people he decimated. I hope he minced words with Judith when he admitted to killing Glenn, etc. There is only so much a kiddo can take!

Michonne/Daryl scenes... all so beautiful. AMEN AND AMEN!!!!!!!

Daryl has followed the river to the ocean and back looking for Rick's body... :03: and he says he will never stop looking. And we know, he was true to his words, six years on he was still out there looking for him. How utterly fucked up yet heartbreakingly beautiful is that? :03:

We really need them to find out Rick is alive. Or that at least there's is a good chance. We need that so much. I'm expecting that from the season finale. I think it desperately needs to happen.

Deep respect, love, loyalty, perseverance, and an all-encompassing sense of brother code. Daryl is nearly a knight of old falling on any sword for those he loves and traveling to the ends of the earth for a beloved comrade. Again, his sense of responsibility in any given situation also drives him. He blames himself for not being able to save the day no matter the circumstances.

Two things bugged me though in the episode, regarding Daryl. First, when Michonne tells him how she's not ok with being alone, so gutwrenchingly sad, and Daryl just walks off, without another word. Really? This pissed me off. I know the two of them have such strong bond that they don't necessarily need words anymore, but still, that felt weird. I will let it go though, because he was written correctly in all their other scenes after.

That gave me pause. I almost wondered if she would accept a coupling with him because they are so parallel in mindset and history. (Sorry - I know it isn't about that 24/7, but in dire circumstances a lot happens. At least at my house.) Of course, neither would find that acceptable, knowing there is a possibility Rick is still alive.

My other nitpick will be Aaron's comment on what great dad Daryl has become, like he said he would... a dad to whom? Henry? He's got parents. Lydia? He's only taking her on right now because Henry left him no choice. Much as he wants to help her, he knows she puts all people he loves in geopardy. Aaron's comment was totally out of place and premature at this point. Much as I can totally see him becoming a father figure for Lydia in the future. Or Henry.

Hmm. That didn't really affect me. I suppose we do see Daryl becoming a father figure of sorts by watching out for Henry, accepting and defending Lydia, and always having loved Judith...and Carl. Yet, it is odd in retrospect that Aaron would verbalize that - especially to someone like Daryl who really likes to keep his cards close to his vest. (You know, the one with the wings on the back?)

So next episode will be terrible. The fair. With a Whisperer attack. Heads will be put on pikes, as it is this group's favoured way. :03: :03: :03: We must brace ourselves to some very painful losses. I'm staying well clear of spoilers. I know who dies in the comics, but it will be no doubt all mixed up as usual, in the show. I'm truly struggling to cope with the idea of losing any more people. For the first time this season, I don't look forward to the next episode. I hate what's coming. :evil:

But the story moves on and it is so engaging, so compelling right now. The storytelling and writing is stellar, in my opinion. How this whole episode was glued masterfully together by focusing on various scars, both physical and psychological.

Bloody hell, THIS IS LONG!!!! Sorry! :oops:
Mz Lori, what did you think?

What do I think? I think I am not equipped to handle the above you say is coming. I want a little love story to bud. I want some sunshine and unicorns. These past episodes have been harsh enough. Do you suppose this will be Negan's time to shine? That he will ultimately perhaps save the pack from the new spooks? If he does, I will allow them to make his chain a little longer, but that is all!

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:55 am

Thank you so much for your thoughts, Lori. I always look forward to your reactions, and have a bit of fun pre-guessing... I'm ususally pretty close. :72:

Especially regarding scenes at the Kingdom. :57:

And I love that you love how I love Daryl and I love how you love him too, in a somewhat different capacity, yet with full understanding of his character. :x

Sometimes I wonder if another actor were in this role if we would feel anything positive towards him. Let's say the actor who played the Governor played him. I think we would be 100% over it. Kudos to Mr. Morgan with the dimples and drawling deep voice. Now, I'm not accusing anyone of succumbing to his masculine wiles, but I do feel the actor brings such an enticing layering it nearly directs the story line to Negan's advantage. I don't think this level of wantonly giddy cruelty can be fixed, so any redemption arc simply feels to me like a murderer in deep hibernation. He had respect for a lot of people he decimated.

This's a pretty chilling read, and I can't deny the truth of it. Time will tell whether Negan has indeed turned a corner, like I think he has, or he's just on peace out pause, before he will slot back into his old ways. I'm hoping, mostly for Judith, that he won't. I don't want her disappointed and disillusioned.

Of course we had a parallel story with the Governor, when he tried to start over and become a better man. It didn't take him long to relapse into the evil fuck he was, irrevocably. We could say, he was triggered, by other people's idiocy, and losing the little girl, yet, it seemed a very easy slide back for Phillip to being the Governor again.
Will Negan do the same? We'll see. My money is on him being an improved version of himself, because, because, because... I'm going with Judith. And also I'm succumbing to his masculine wiles. :oops: :sign0144:

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:01 pm

What do I think? I think I am not equipped to handle the above you say is coming. I want a little love story to bud. I want some sunshine and unicorns. These past episodes have been harsh enough.

Totally agree. At least we could have had one happy episode with the fair? But I don't think we will get even one meagre happy episode. After "Scars" we will get deaths. :roll: I'm about to watch the episode, Lori, I'll be your scout. :sign0085:

Do you suppose this will be Negan's time to shine? That he will ultimately perhaps save the pack from the new spooks? If he does, I will allow them to make his chain a little longer, but that is all!

That's a deal. I hope this is where we are going with Negan.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:08 pm

Ok, Pic. I've watched the next episode. It's incredibly tense, and yes, we are losing dear people. But you're gonna have to pluck up the courage and get through it. I'll be there with you in spirit.
If it is any comfort, it's not as emotionally crushing as the last episode was. But it is hard.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:00 pm

:03: :x :x :03: :x :x

• Information