Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

10x22 ‘Here’s Negan’

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:44 am

Carol takes Negan on a journey, hoping to minimize the increasing tension. Negan reflects on the events that led him to this point and comes to a conclusion about his future.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:50 am

One of the strongest episodes of the mini season-extension, in my opinion. Didn’t want it to end. And then that smile... really surprised me.

Nic

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:19 am

I agree, the format was yet another character study format but interestingly this one was compelling TV.
Is it the actor or the character that makes him so watchable?
I think both, a typical example of character and actor marrying up with the role so perfectly that it's literally magic.... Like Damon/Ian.
For me it was wanting to what was behind the hideous sadistic cruelty that Negan displayed?
Guilt...in a nutshell.

Are we going to see a return of that Negan now he has been reunited with Lucille?
Does he feel that all hope is gone of ever being a trusted member of the group?
A man without hope has nothing to lose and can be most dangerous.
Will his banishment cause him to wreak revenge?
Will Maggie try to kill him?

All interesting set up for the New season. I'm still in but only just my friends.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:16 pm

Nic wrote:
I agree, the format was yet another character study format but interestingly this one was compelling TV.

So compelling!
I think both, a typical example of character and actor marrying up with the role so perfectly that it's literally magic.... Like Damon/Ian.

Yes, I completely agree. A matter of perfect casting. Especially exciting because he’s so damn complex and complicated, and whilst overall a very bad person, he also has some very decent streaks... and he had made some shitty decisions that ended up ruining his life.

For me it was wanting to what was behind the hideous sadistic cruelty that Negan displayed?
Guilt...in a nutshell.

Guilt but also anger management issues and control freak nature... Lucille managed to keep him in check - mostly- but when Negan is left to his own devices, and he lets the beast roam free, that’s the Negan we first met.

Are we going to see a return of that Negan now he has been reunited with Lucille?

I think that smile has got us all wonder about that. But he has burnt Lucille, he seems to have laid her ghost to rest. I don’t think he’s planning on going apeshit crazy Negan. I think he might be just trying to reset himself to who he was before all this? I can’t wait to find out what his game plan is.

I don’t think he’s lost all hope, he wouldn’t have come back otherwise. I’m not sure about revenge either.

I think when it comes to crunch point, she’s over it.

All interesting set up for the New season. I'm still in but only just my friends.

I’m sorry to hear that! I think Lori is feeling quite similar! I hope they’ll win you back and over with the final season.

Apparently I’m easy to please! :57:

Lori
Site Admin

Mon May 31, 2021 6:26 pm

Dee wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:16 pm
Nic wrote:

So compelling!

Every minute!

Yes, I completely agree. A matter of perfect casting. Especially exciting because he’s so damn complex and complicated, and whilst overall a very bad person, he also has some very decent streaks... and he had made some shitty decisions that ended up ruining his life.

It is strange that when both Negan and Damon were normalized by emotion, Negan repentant and serving his wife and Damon by finally attaining love, I found them both far less compelling. It is really a testament to JDM that the asshole he played, cheating on his wife and being an absentee husband, was a completely different level than full-blown Negan. Very watchable throughout.

Can we just give huge applause to JDM's real-life wife, Hilarie? She was stunning, believable, and really multi-layered in so short a time as far as being on-screen.

Guilt...in a nutshell.

Guilt but also anger management issues and control freak nature... Lucille managed to keep him in check - mostly- but when Negan is left to his own devices, and he lets the beast roam free, that’s the Negan we first met.

I found myself not too surprised at the impetus to his cruelty and did appreciate how well it was all depicted. Additionally, the blind rage he felt was mixed with a sliver of hero for the doctor & his daughter. That is heady stuff and the lines were blurred immediately between savage and savior. This is a head game that escalated with Negan, believing himself to be righteous in his approach and a savior to his followers.

I think that smile has got us all wonder about that. But he has burnt Lucille, he seems to have laid her ghost to rest. I don’t think he’s planning on going apeshit crazy Negan. I think he might be just trying to reset himself to who he was before all this? I can’t wait to find out what his game plan is.

That smile! Damn! What an enigma! I think I whispered, "Oh shit!" out loud. What did it mean? Was it, "I know you hate me and I deserve it."? or maybe "I'm a changed man and you will soon understand this."? or "Yes, I'm batshit crazy and this is goodbye so you can thrive." or to quote Lost (Hi, Ian!) "See you in another life, Sister." ?

I don’t think he’s lost all hope, he wouldn’t have come back otherwise. I’m not sure about revenge either.

Good question. He has done the redemption arc as pertains to helping the community and protecting them so I wonder how he could capitalize on that further sufficiently to atone. Daryl reluctantly accepted him and Daryl is Alpha, except that now we have Maggie who is also Alpha by her own right.

I think when it comes to crunch point, she’s over it.

One slip up and one more good reason I would say she might. She hasn't yet and he's done the worst. It would be in further defense of innocence rather than revenge perhaps. More likely, she will end up saving him in some way, yes? Or he her.

:72:

I’m sorry to hear that! I think Lori is feeling quite similar! I hope they’ll win you back and over with the final season.

Apparently I’m easy to please! :57:

HA! Busted! As long as I have the fast-forward button through the sloppy zombie stuff or the overtly violent, I am hanging in for solidarity!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:17 pm

:57: :57: :57:

May I just start off by saying how much I love ya as Zombie Bicycle Girl? You can totally pull it off, Darlin'. :72:

It is strange that when both Negan and Damon were normalized by emotion, Negan repentant and serving his wife and Damon by finally attaining love, I found them both far less compelling.

You don't say, Lori. Really? You preferred bad boy Damon? Well I never. :57:

These actors also so obviously prefer playing the bad boys. Nice is just ... nice. Bad with a purpose or with some underlying good, now that's a lot more interesting.

It is really a testament to JDM that the asshole he played, cheating on his wife and being an absentee husband, was a completely different level than full-blown Negan. Very watchable throughout.

Can we just give huge applause to JDM's real-life wife, Hilarie? She was stunning, believable, and really multi-layered in so short a time as far as being on-screen.

Totally agreed. She was fantastic. A faultless performance. Both of them. And their chemistry was phenomenal, in every situation.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:37 pm

I found myself not too surprised at the impetus to his cruelty and did appreciate how well it was all depicted. Additionally, the blind rage he felt was mixed with a sliver of hero for the doctor & his daughter. That is heady stuff and the lines were blurred immediately between savage and savior. This is a head game that escalated with Negan, believing himself to be righteous in his approach and a savior to his followers.

Perfectly summed up. This showed us a perfect origin story of the ideology of the 'Saviors' - much better than the Whisperer origin story was, that never explained how on earth those two freaks could gain followers. How Negan started off here with the Doctor and Laura, that made perfect sense. Really brilliant writing all throughout the episode.

That smile! Damn! What an enigma! I think I whispered, "Oh shit!" out loud. What did it mean? Was it, "I know you hate me and I deserve it."? or maybe "I'm a changed man and you will soon understand this."? or "Yes, I'm batshit crazy and this is goodbye so you can thrive." or to quote Lost (Hi, Ian!) "See you in another life, Sister." ?

"I'm a changed man and you will soon understand this."

For me that's the closest. I think he's really left the sadistic clown persona behind, a long long time ago, but officially and ceremoniously he did with burning that fucking bat.

I think by the fire he was also formulating a kind of vow to do right by Lucille now, like he wanted to be someone she could be proud of. And the smile was more of a "you'll see" than anything else. He knows he's no saint, but he can do alright by these people now. He's got nothing to lose by trying, everything to gain. He can't be alone. He doesn't want to start over. He wants this to work.

Many fans speculate, like you, Lori, that he might end up saving her, or little Hershel. He might even sacrifice his life to save him. Now that would be full circle and a great death for the character.

So you guys are just hangin in there, whereas I can hardly wait for Season 11 to start already! So excited! Hope it will be a brilliant final season and you will both love it! :x :x

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:28 am

Are we hanging in there, Nic?

I'm hanging in for you, Dee, but also Daryl, Connie, and Negan. That's about it...oh, and Michonne/Rick windup. I would be fine just dropping in on those story lines. The community doesn't interest me as much as perhaps it does you. Are we surprised? (I would implode in a commune!)

:57:

It's nice you have a finger on the pulse of the fan base who quite often get it right, don't they?

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:38 am

How about Judith? Lydia? Rosita? Kelly?

I thought you like these girls too? :P

But you’re right, I care about the whole community, not just the individuals. I’d like to see what the final vision is of the rebuild after the apocalypse.

And obviously loads and loads of Daryl Dixon. And no Leah. I’d like to erase that episode like it never happened.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:02 pm

No Leah allowed! That whole thing could have been completely omitted. However, the man is a man and not a myth. We know where he rests his head at night...

• Information