Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

11x10 ‘New Haunts’

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:38 pm

Weeks have passed since the Alexandrians arrived at the Commonwealth. They adjust to their classifications, their assigned jobs, and the oddity of making new friends.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:43 pm

Blimey! From this it seems they’re going to cram an awful lot into the the first episode back after the hiatus! Finishing the Reapers, our people returning to Alexandria, the storm there, reunions (DARYL AND CONNIE???? Will they have more than a second for that?) and then the Commonwealth arriving to Alexandria, fighting, then agreeing to go with them? Wow, that’s a whole lotta action for an episode. Hopefully a little space for important and long anticipated interactions!

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:30 am

Daryl had better not cry or I will be mopping a little tender bunny up off the floor. Should happen, however…

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 pm

Yes, it so should!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:46 am

I am totally into this new chapter.
Brewing class war in a town preserved from before the zombie apocalypse - that is as surreal as it can get. Well, King Ezekiel’s Kingdom, Jadis’ Scrapyard Art Park and Alpha’s Whisperer Tribe aside.

It’s very interesting to observe the class system through the eyes of our survivors who have lived in a community for so long with an elected council. Negan would appreciate the CW system, it’s not unlike how he structured the Saviors. But the lavish ball they’ve organised here for the elite would raise even Negan’s eyebrows, I reckon.

There are many unanswered questions for which I don’t think we will ever get answers, so I’m going to take a point off for that so I’ll go with a 9 for the episode.

Things I loved:

Daryl being such a sweet dad to Judith and RJ. Putting the kids first.

Getting Judith a record player. Bonding over Motörhead with the little girl he was the first one to feed when she was born.

‘Eat the Rich’… such a perfect soundtrack for the end of the episode!

Seeing our survivors slinking back into the place they’d once occupied in society. Life and circumstance has brought them together as family and as equals. Now suddenly there’s a hierarchy in their status and privileges. It will be very interesting how this will affect their relationship - there’s already some tension there between Magna and Rosita, just because Rosita is now ‘establishment’ , and even if we all know both Rosita and Daryl will side with the upcoming uprising - because surely that’s going to be the main story here, right?

Jerry and family dressing up as tigers… how adorable was that?

Mercer is really growing on me. Cool dude.

Connie and Daryl… oh that look back over the shoulder and little touch in passing…
Back to this innocent but totally obvious flirting like Leah never existed. Love it.
But if their relationship continues to progress at this snail’s pace like the mother of all slow burns, we’ll run out of episodes before they get to hold hands again. :roll:

Loved Carol snooping and trying to help Zeke to climb the waiting list for treatment.

Zeke still loving Carol like nothing’s changed.

Enjoyed the training challenge with Daryl and Rosita, and Mercer getting the measure of Daryl pretty quickly.

Lance might actually have layers and cross over to the side of the uprising. Doesn’t look like Pamela has much respect for him.

What I didn’t like

I was generally ok with the time jump and not seeing how our people first got to the CW. You can truly guess how that went down. But … I would have liked to hear Daryl asking Connie at least some of his so many questions. :roll:

Sebastian is insufferable.

Where was Eugene?

Virgil?

How long will they string out Daryl not finding out about Rick?

We know Carol has supernatural powers but still, how could she sneak into the doctor’s office? The wine cellar? How was that wine cellar unattended and not known to the CW? Really silly.
But I can let all that go.

I’m really curious how this chapter will unfold, very interesting situation!

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:59 pm

Dee wrote:
I am totally into this new chapter.
Brewing class war in a town preserved from before the zombie apocalypse - that is as surreal as it can get. Well, King Ezekiel’s Kingdom, Jadis’ Scrapyard Art Park and Alpha’s Whisperer Tribe aside.

It was nearly distracting. I actually double-checked I hadn't missed an episode. I'm not a fan of drastic time jumps and this felt jarring in that it is obvious time had passed, but it didn't seem cohesive. They all seemed settled in and waaay too comfortable without certain stories seemingly having advanced in a cohesive way alongside the time frame. Was it just me?

It’s very interesting to observe the class system through the eyes of our survivors who have lived in a community for so long with an elected council. Negan would appreciate the CW system, it’s not unlike how he structured the Saviors. But the lavish ball they’ve organised here for the elite would raise even Negan’s eyebrows, I reckon.

Yes, it proved humanity recreates these issues with hierarchy time and time again, understanding some type of hierarchy is invariably needed in a society. It always seems to bloat and feed on itself. To watch our group holding positions within this class system and the slow dawning is interesting. Perhaps they are more discerning and seasoned to fall this quickly for this situation, especially having been the recipients of the negative side of things for so long. That seems a bit unbelievable to me.

There are many unanswered questions for which I don’t think we will ever get answers, so I’m going to take a point off for that so I’ll go with a 9 for the episode.

Things I loved:

Daryl being such a sweet dad to Judith and RJ. Putting the kids first.

Getting Judith a record player. Bonding over Motörhead with the little girl he was the first one to feed when she was born.

Sweet nurturing man. Are you trying to tear me up? I think Judith in Daryl's arms is still one of the most poignant scenes in all of TWD. That deserves a 13 cute puppy rating.

(Still not a fan of the Star Wars white outfit. Mike walked in and laughed at the red outfit of...(Name Please) with the butt plate.)

More later!

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:34 am

Dee wrote:

‘Eat the Rich’… such a perfect soundtrack for the end of the episode!

Those lyrics were priceless and perfect in this episode. I had to laugh actually. Really a brilliant selection.

Seeing our survivors slinking back into the place they’d once occupied in society. Life and circumstance has brought them together as family and as equals. Now suddenly there’s a hierarchy in their status and privileges. It will be very interesting how this will affect their relationship - there’s already some tension there between Magna and Rosita, just because Rosita is now ‘establishment’ , and even if we all know both Rosita and Daryl will side with the upcoming uprising - because surely that’s going to be the main story here, right?

This is interesting. No doubt our group was seeing the past through somewhat rose-colored glasses. Now, it is apparent that hierarchy, though necessary and inevitable in any society to an extent, eats itself somewhat. Lessons have been learned through this apocalyptic haze. Each member in our well-oiled and honed group is valued and their talents appreciated and recognized. These are the strange gifts of strife. The stark contrast cannot be lost on them.

Mercer is really growing on me. Cool dude.

Mercer - that is his name. He is the one whose red suit made Mr. L laugh with its little butt plate. I hadn’t noticed. Am I dead inside?

Connie and Daryl… oh that look back over the shoulder and little touch in passing…
Back to this innocent but totally obvious flirting like Leah never existed. Love it.
But if their relationship continues to progress at this snail’s pace like the mother of all slow burns, we’ll run out of episodes before they get to hold hands again. :roll:

Can I just giggle here and pat your head? It certainly is a snail’s pace and if hand-holding is the goal then I think that is doable. They really need to jumpstart this storyline back to front and center. If not, it is a dis-service to the story and viewer. They nearly lost each other for goodness sake. A passing glance and touch just doesn’t quite cover it. They are on the precipice of making the error JP made in TVD - giving the relationship a quick slide into full fruition without benefit of those delightful deep moment we crave. Now, TWD often will devote a full episode to this type of story but I agree it needs to happen before they run out of satiating road.

Loved Carol snooping and trying to help Zeke to climb the waiting list for treatment.

Zeke still loving Carol like nothing’s changed.

Carol. She is the queen of back-firing. It is no small move to bump people waiting for treatment. On the surface, it is an act of extreme love but in reality it’s horrific in the moral implications and fallout. Zeke would solidly not allow that to happen, given a choice. I could see this actually harming their relationship. His love for Carol is a neat aspect of this character.

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:39 am

Dee wrote:
Enjoyed the training challenge with Daryl and Rosita, and Mercer getting the measure of Daryl pretty quickly.

Lance might actually have layers and cross over to the side of the uprising. Doesn’t look like Pamela has much respect for him.

What I didn’t like

I was generally ok with the time jump and not seeing how our people first got to the CW. You can truly guess how that went down. But … I would have liked to hear Daryl asking Connie at least some of his so many questions. :roll:

IKR?!!!!! Again, a blow to the fandom and if not immediately addressed is a fatal error. You are a most patient bunny and each carrot is full of nutrition for which you are grateful and satiated. I am nearly over it at this point. They had better deliver, baby!

Sebastian is insufferable.

That meme is nearly identical to so many other snotty little prince characters we’ve already seen. Yawn. I suppose it serves some type of bridge-type device.

Where was Eugene?

No doubt off somewhere looking pasty, confused, disheveled, and unappetizing.

Goodness We know Carol has supernatural powers but still, how could she sneak into the doctor’s office? The wine cellar? How was that wine cellar unattended and not known to the CW? Really silly.
But I can let all that go.

How has Carol historically been able to get away with so much? At one time, I suppose the disguise of middle age mellowness leading to trust was an explanation. She blew up that meme pretty thoroughly, yes? Ha! I’m thinking the Alpha story here. That was one of the most magnificently horrible BTW.

I’m really curious how this chapter will unfold, very interesting situation!

I am not a fan of time jumps with their innate frenetic push borderlining the unbelievable and asking the viewer to accept new situations en masse. I find it jarring for some reason.

It’s time for some deeper development in a couple of really vital areas. Chop! Chop! Get on with it TWD!!!!!

:x

(I am getting 5 houseguests in 2 days and fear my viewing will be delayed. In a week or so, I can do some private late-night viewing!)

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:48 am

Mercer - that is his name. He is the one whose red suit made Mr. L laugh with its little butt plate. I hadn’t noticed. Am I dead inside?

Well… something’s not cooking? I LIVE for that butt plate. It’s simply the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. :57:

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:49 am

(I am getting 5 houseguests in 2 days and fear my viewing will be delayed. In a week or so, I can do some private late-night viewing!)

Oh my, you’re already three episodes behind lol

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:57 am

We are pretty much in full agreement, except I didn’t mind the time jump so much except for the lack of Daryl/Connie stuff. And regarding that, I think they’re going to fail us. Like you, I’ve practically given up. They keep teasing it and then they’re not putting them together again in a scene without other people present. It’s all very disappointing. They’ve really missed a golden story there, but hey.

I love that you’ve come round on Zeke.

Not much to add. Next episode is a bit of a fail in my view but the one after is fantastic. I’m one episode behind myself. Maybe tonight.

Mercer is a great character, you’ll see. Respect the butt plate. :P

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:50 am

Ha! Onward then...bowing to the butt plate.

• Information