Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Game of Thrones - Catching Up Seasons 1-6

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:32 am

I am determined to watch the final season in real time with the rest of the world, so I'm binge-watching the series, - amazingly with hubby still on board, despite the hideous violence that is a constant feature in the show. It is what it is. This a horrifically violent and barbaric world, and there is a permanent sense that anyone can die a brutal death at any given time. This tone is set right from the start. And there is no point in denying that some of the torture/death scenes are seriously disturbing. But there is so much that is brilliant in this show, that dealing with the horror is a price we must pay, just like the characters who survive.

I'm totally immersed in this world right now, watching an episode or two most nights.
The world is a fascinating mixture of medieval, mythical and the supernatural. The cinematography is stunning. The characters are rich and engaging, the casting is pretty much perfect, and the actors do a tremendous job bringing them to life. (With the one exception of Baelish, where I can't help thinking someone else might have done a better job with the character.) The story telling is quite literally breathtaking. The humour is classy and fiendishly witty.

About to complete Season 4 tonight, I can't wait to see how Tyrion is going to get out of his tight spot this time. He is by far my favourite character on the show. His outburst at the end of his trial just stunned me, with its raw honesty. In a way, he is the heart of the show for me, along with Jon Snow. Surprisingly, I'm also deeply bonded with Jaime, despite the fact he has done some deplorable things. Yet, the character is so rapidly and deliciously evolving, and he's so full of charisma, that it's hard not to like and forgive him. I'm particularly enjoying his bond with Brienne, who is an excellent influence on him. I'm also delighted to see him getting closer to Tyrion.

The show is made up of a bunch of separate story lines in each episode, and god knows how they do this, but they are all so engaging. Never a dull moment. But, of course, everyone has their favourite storylines. My hubby would be quite happy to have more focus on Daenerys, :roll: , but actually, I really enjoy her story too. We both love the "Arya on the road with the Hound" scenes too. Super interesting pairing.

So... pressing on. Just wanted to let you know, Mz DF, I'm catching up, and won't be long now.
:08:

DawnFae

Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:46 am

YAY! Dee Cool!
Thank you for catching up so we can watch the last season together and enjoy it :x !

I would love to hear what you make of it when you're done watching all seasons. I hope you'll enjoy every bit of it :x !
YAY!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:59 am

Great stuff. I'm looking forward to it.

We are watching 5x03 tonight.

The Season 4 finale was absolutely riveting but also one of the saddest episodes in a tv series I've ever seen. Arya' face before she leaves the Hound... I think that will stay with me forever. Also Tyrion's, as he was going through the motions of what he had to do, before he could leave King's Landing. Utterly devastating. And of course Jon losing his love. So many sad things happened.

What I enjoyed most about the new season so far was Jon Snow's interactions with the King Beyond The Wall. He was a great character, sad to see him die, whilst Jon is becoming a fine leader.

And Tyrion and Varys make very entertaining travelling companions. Unlike Baelish and Sansa, that continues to creep me out, like I'm sure it's fully intended to.

Very much thrilled to see Jaqen's face again in the Faceless Man, and looking forward to Arya's next chapter training with them.

Onwards!!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 am

Would love to know who your favourite characters and storylines/scenes were from this era, if it is possible to say (and detach from what came after), Mz DF?

DawnFae

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:13 pm

Dee wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:18 am
Would love to know who your favourite characters and storylines/scenes were from this era, if it is possible to say (and detach from what came after), Mz DF?
HAHA! I will try. Perhaps a rewatching is in order too :shock: !

:57:
:x

Spontaneously my favorite characters are Daenerys and Jon Snow. Arya and Sansa come next then Tyrion.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Such fabulously layered characters, DF! Daenerys is my husband's favourite. :roll:

Right now we are devising various murderous plans how to kill Ramsay. What a foul, vile, hideous monster. :evil:

Adore Arya. She's my favourite female character. She's just going from strength to strength and she was quite something to begin with. I admire her bravery and honesty.

And Jon? He's really just all kinds of wonderful. ❤️
The closing moment of 5x08 with the Night King staring at Jon whilst raising the dead... bloody hell!!!

I feel very sorry for Sansa, but I haven't quite bonded with her yet. I admire her bursts of bravery.

My favourite is still Tyrion. Every scene he's in, he makes them golden. Loved the first big talk between him and Daenerys. The actor is just incredible. He does comedy as brilliantly as heartwrenching drama, and he can slip between the two totally effortlessly, and in the blink of an eye. Gotta hand it to him.

Very much enjoying the Jaime/Bron double act. Hilarious.

So... We have only two episodes left of Season 5! :x

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 pm

Finished Season 5. Oh my god, this show. Such dramatic, iconic moments. Daenerys flying on the back of her dragon... Jaime's daughter poisoned, dying in his arms... The Night King raising up the dead... Cersei's walk of shame... Sansa and Theon jumping off the wall... Stannis sacrificing his sweet daughter... Jon cowardly murdered by his comrades... Arya losing her sight as punishment for taking a life for herself... it's just such an exciting and deeply emotional story with such haunting images! Can't wait to start season 6 tomorrow. Thank goodness I know that Jon is not dead-dead. It must have been agonising for fans watching this in real time, having to wait bloody months to find out what would happen to him. But you just can't have GoT without Jon Snow, surely. That's absolutely impossible. He's the ultimate hero of this story, as much as Daenerys is the heroine.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 pm

And the lovely Jon Snow lives again. :035: And has just left the Wall. Awesome. Where the heck is he gonna go though? To take back Winterfell? Oh please let him kill Ramsey. Please please please he must die. Urgently.
And Arya has got her sight back and has become a super ninja. Tyrion has set the dragons free. And we got to see Melisandre's hundreds of years old form, that was such a brilliant scene. My favourite parts from the first three episodes of S6. Whizzing through!!!

DawnFae

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:39 pm

Dee wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:48 pm
And the lovely Jon Snow lives again. :035: And has just left the Wall. Awesome. Where the heck is he gonna go though? To take back Winterfell? Oh please let him kill Ramsey. Please please please he must die. Urgently.
And Arya has got her sight back and has become a super ninja. Tyrion has set the dragons free. And we got to see Melisandre's hundreds of years old form, that was such a brilliant scene. My favourite parts from the first three episodes of S6. Whizzing through!!!
I will not spoil it for you but I believe that you will be satisfied with Ramsey's punishment.

It must be nice to watch it all without having to wait for the new season and agonize over the cliffhangers :72: .
The final season is almost upon us. I can't wait to see our heroes face their ultimate enemies and their fates / destinies.
:x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:58 am

The last two episodes of Season 6 were phenomenal. And yes, Ramsay's death was just perfect. I would have preferred it to be dragged out a little longer, to be honest, for him to know what's coming to him for more than just a few moments, but the way he died was perfect karma.

Arya taking her revenge on Walter Frey was also most satisfying, and totally unexpected.

The payoffs on this show are brilliant.

The scenes of preparation for the trial are amongst my all time favourites: the music, the slow pace, the beautiful cinematography. Stunning.

Just one more season to go before I'm all caught up!!! This has been such an incredible journey. So happy I've embarked on it.

DawnFae

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:49 pm

I love your comments about GOT Dee! Keep them coming please :x !

The last season is almost upon us!

I wonder what will happen next and I am dreading the end especially if our beloved characters end up dead fighting against the army of the dead :shock: :73: .

I love your takes on season 7. It is a brilliant season because we started getting answers to all the riddles set up in the previous chapters of this amazing story.

Have fun watching the rest of season 7 Dee and please share your impressions :x !

• Information