Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

1x01 'Down With The Sickness'

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Following an urgent trip to the Arctic, a scientist and his friend are quarantined with an illness that soon escalates into something sinister.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:55 pm

Well, well, well!! Mr Somerhalder is truly back in the saddle. We never got to see this much of him in a single VD episode, I'm pretty sure.

So, I better say it out loud right at the beginning. I'm so over the vampire genre. Just totally over it. But I'm putting that aside for this show, because well, it's Ian, and it's you girls. And actually, it wasn't a bad opening episode. There was definite suspense, and there was a lot of familiar mythology. But most of all, there was so much blue eyes that it made it rather difficult to focus on anything else. :roll:

Luther's not Damon, and not even close, Ian has done pretty well separating the two characters. The similarities are inevitable as they are played by the same guy, but Luther has no snark and swagger and full on flirt. Yet Luther is engaging enough, mostly because his predicament is fascinating, and he's still so damn beautiful.

Looking forward to watching this with you girls. What did you think?

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm

I like what you said above, Mz. A. Now, I think you are being a wee bit kind to our blue-eyed wonder, but if we indeed suspend expectation it can be a fun little ride. Lots of blue eyes, but kind of stock acting IMHO. I am also completely over this genre - I think that may work against the series. Also, straddling the line between the comic genre versus a serious presentation.

Some sophomoric writing, filming, etc. The quality lacks a bit and so much predictable detracting from the freshness this could potentially have had. I will give it breadth...for reasons.

Ian? I like him much better playing mysterious and a bit dangerous. My least favorite Damon moments were the pleading eyebrows and higher pitch of voice. That is on full display here. Perhaps it is all me.... No doubt that will ensue.

Truthfully? I may have turned the channel with other actors. Now, I'm forced to watch again instead. Go figure!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:43 pm

I will reserve judgement on the approach to the vampire genre until the end of the first season. I think they're getting through the origin, the transition and the special skills pretty quickly and the focus will be more on the power struggle between vampires and humans, and the fight to stop the virus spreading/finding a cure, not the existential and poetic/romantic aspect of being a vampire. I am a little curious.

The writing is not great so far, or should we say, rather patchy. Some if it was ok, some of it is painfully cringey. The whole side story of the underground youth group who are broadcasting the truth to the people, I guess they're there to provide some comic relief, but they don't seem to fit organically into the seam of things at all, but again, early days.
How the heck the girl managed to get into the cell where Michael was kept was beyond ridiculous.

Ian? I like him much better playing mysterious and a bit dangerous. My least favorite Damon moments were the pleading eyebrows and higher pitch of voice. That is on full display here. Perhaps it is all me.... No doubt that will ensue.
I get that. Mysterious and a bit dangerous... yes. Add on sarcastic, darkly witty, oozing sexuality... That's his forte. This is definitely not that character. I think Ian plays Luther pretty well though, who might becoming interesting for quite different reasons. I get a feeling that here we have a character who's going to have to become a badass in this new world, and I have a feeling you're gonna like Luther more and more by each episode. Just a hunch. And certainly the only reason why we should keep watching. ;)

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:07 pm

Oh, you have piqued my interest and I will go into the future with you on this series. Yes, a progressive badass would be fine oh fine!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Lori wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:07 pm
Oh, you have piqued my interest and I will go into the future with you on this series. Yes, a progressive badass would be fine oh fine!
Lol, I’m just trying to be positive here. We might end up watching this for nothing else but those blue eyes!

• Information