Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #1 Waking Ned Devine

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:22 pm

Movie #1 ~ August 18 Thru Whenever

"Waking Ned Devine" opens with the news that someone in the Irish hamlet of Tullymore (population 53--uh, 52) has won the National Lottery. Who could it be? The locals, who have lived in one another's pockets for years, snoop and gossip, and seize upon the slightest deviation from habit as proof that someone expects a windfall. But there are no leads, and finally in desperation a chicken supper is held, at which the winner will perhaps be revealed. No luck. But one person doesn't attend the dinner: Ned Devine.

Discussion Thread opens on Friday August 18

NurseRatched

Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:03 pm

We just introduced one of our kids to this movie last year! A favorite for sure...good choice. :D

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I would take what I need and treat me friends to the rest.” ~ Jackie O’Shea

WAKING NED DEVINE

This is just one little white lie spoken with a sweet Irish brogue, belying the softly nefarious intent swimming in the vast blue undercurrent of a close knit little village called Tullymore. When a windfall lands in the lap of fifty-three colorful residents in this rural mecca of cliffs and characters, the dance begins to fetter out just who the “lucky sod” is through any means possible. Each obstacle winds into another as these endearing rare birds plot to defraud the lottery.

The writer/director, Kirk Jones, was inspired when he spotted a newspaper clipping about a postmistress from a tiny post office in South Wales who'd hung a sign in her window which read, "No, I have not won the lottery!" The story was that the locals claimed she had won a lot of money. She said she hadn't, and they said she was so tight-fisted, that even if she had, she'd never tell anyone anyway.

Thoughts to use or not to use:

1. Harmless and light-hearted? What moral message, if any, does this story serve up?

2. Jackie O’Shea says, “If I’d known how much money was involved, I’d have never started.” Thoughts on what it takes to trip off the high ground and why that amount of money makes it more complicated?

3. Lessons learned: Where did you relate to a character’s initial approach or eventual journey?

4. Magic moments?

5. Casting: It was debated whether to use elderly actors. The writer/director always had seasoned characters in mind, but the studio execs felt someone closer to Gabriel Bryne would be more of a mainstream draw. Kirk Jones held his ground.

6. Cinematography

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:09 pm

I think what continues to endear me to this movie is the actors. I’ve always loved Fionnula Flanagan. Her beautiful tough and rich performance as Annie was a thing to behold as she tried to help guide her man through these waters. The propagator of all things chicken was not so innocent herself, but to me more of the moral fiber of the show than the preacher. When she said her concern was not for her husband, but rather the incredibly sweet and vulnerable Michael, that was the moment my heart wrapped around this movie and the people in it. It was pulled even tighter during the funeral eulogy scene where Jackie pays homage to their longstanding friendship and the man behind those huge vulnerable blue eyes. Have you ever seen a sweeter human being? I fell in love. Thank you, David Kelly.

I certainly adore me some Gabriel Bryne always and forever, but the casting was superb. It was such a loving and accurate treatment that depicted the beauty of humanity, particularly of an aging populous. Truly, their faces were mesmerizing. And who doesn’t enjoy a rail thin naked elderly man on a minibike?

I loved the giggling in the absurd false teeth scene, though it properly grossed me out. The sneeze in the church and the dawning on everyone who this man was, in small town fashion. The roaring applause when the signed check arrived as the town curmudgeon went over the cliff and onto the rocks. Really, in the spirit of honor amongst thieves it is worse to try to steal from people you know rather than strangers. The question could bode were they really cheating anyone? Little did they know, the money belonged right where it partially ended up in a way, with little Maurice being the sole heir.

The intricate small hamlet in-your-business personal intersections were fun. My parents are from a pretty tiny town and whenever we visited people always knew who we were and would call to us from their cars or from across the street, citing our last name and asking what occasion we were here for, etc. Very fun to experience…nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.

The wonderful rustic homes and countryside are a visual delight. The celtic music with pan pipes and bagpipes tickled my Irish blood to the extent I believe my hair is a bit more auburn because of it. I feel this film was lovingly done. It is sweetly uncomplicated in a complicated sort of way.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:02 am

Thank you so much for suggesting this film, Lori. What a delightful story, and so beautifully filmed and acted. I very much enjoyed reading your review too, finding myself nodding in agreement and joining you in your appreciation.

I will try to go with your questions.

1. Harmless and lighthearted? Yes. Definitely so. But nevertheless it has addressed the moral dilemma which has basically boiled down to the question: is it worth risking Michael's spirit getting broken in prison for this little scheme? But circumstances propelled Michael right into the middle of the fraud, becoming the impersonator of Ned himself. And what a fine job he has done with that. He and the whisky. Reading out Ned's personal details to Jim from the toilet nextdoors, with papers scattered around him, whisky in hand, adding his birth weight after the date... one of my favourite moments.

I don't think the film was much concerned with the moral dilemmas as it wasn't really digging too deep in there. Circumstances were pushing the story forward, and people easily fell into a pragmatic approach, even Annie, who was the most concerned about doing the right thing. I found it amusing how even little Maurice was so wise. When the young priest wondered what the old priest will make of the shenanigans, Maurice reassured him he'd be happy seeing the money spent on fixing up the church.

Of course, there was a funny little twist at the end which added another layer to the story: a parable of how greed always gets punished.

2. It is interesting, but it's true. The more the money the more complicated winning money gets, the more pressure builds to share it with others. People say that's the hardest thing about winning the lottery: how much of it will you keep and how much will you give away and how will you divide it up? In this situation it was an easy answer in the end: divide it equally.

I liked Jackie's character. A man with a good heart, ability to enjoy what he's been given, but not shying away from a good opportunity to make his life a little more comfortable.

I liked how they genuinely mourned for Ned. And how Annie's first reaction was that Ned would have thrown them all a big party. It seemed perfectly fitting then what came to pass.

3. Lessons learned? I didn't feel the film was trying to deliver any sort of big message here, it was all just gentle little reminders, such as how we should remember to make sure we let our loved ones know how much we appreciate them, before it's too late to tell them. I agree, that little moment in the church when Jackie ended up talking about his love for Michael, that was the most precious scene in the film. David Kelly's face... oh my.

4. Magic moments: so many. Besides the ones mentioned already: Kitty trying to flirt with Michael. Michael and Jackie skinny dipping and sharing a bed when Annie was obviously taking the spare room sulking, and remembering Michael's wife: I loved the natural ease between these two old friends. I liked how Jackie tricked Annie into bringing him his pie right at the beginning. The singing of the post office lady. :57: Drunken Michael. Everything Michael. Such a wonderful character and actor. The pig farmer tirelessly courting Maggie, James Nesbitt was adorable in the role.

5. Casting? Perfect.

6. Cinematography?

Going to Ireland Isle of Man (where the movie was actually shot)!

A delightful life affirming film that fills your heart with love for humankind. Must share with my husband who will love this.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 am

Just wonderful.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:57 am

I'm so glad you liked the show and share my love of these characters and actors, Dee. One has to give themselves over to this film and enjoy the nuance. It is a film that winks at the viewer, don't you think? "Sit and let sweet humanity spill into your heart and mind. Put down the cell phone - stop the clocks."

I agree that even though the show centered ostensibly around theft, it was a minor player and there were only a few small brush strokes or preaching subtexts regarding morality. I'm grateful, really. The little quirks you pointed out the characters displayed were so lovely. Michael and Jackie skinny dipping! Yes! More naked older men, please! Perhaps Gabriel Bryne would not have been such a bad choice after all....(per my husband). The daily interactions between lifelong friends and spouses really spot on.

This was my 3rd viewing. Perhaps as I get older these characters become more dear to me as I see the child in each one of them. Thanks for watching and sharing your take on the film!
:x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 am

My pleasure.

"I see the child in each one of them." Yes... that's spot on. There is a very refreshing simplicity and honesty about these characters, what you see is what you get, no pretence, and they all know one another so well.

I forgot to mention how much I enjoyed the little boy's observation that most of the money will be spent at the village pub. These people won't be running away to restart their lives some place else. They will just make themselves a little more comfortable where they are and throw parties to enjoy themselves in each other's company. I found that very endearing.

NurseRatched

Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:17 pm

I need to watch the film again, as it's been over a year! I don't dare peep until I refresh. Using elderly actors is almost the best feature, along with the gorgeous setting. Will make my way back here...

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:34 pm

Look forward to your impressions, NR, when you get the chance. I ended up watching it three times!

• Information