Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Travel, Adventures and Days Out

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:03 am

Gaaahhh! Overwhelmed with the beauty of the town and also the souls who came to your rescue the first night. (I could not access the 1st two photos, Dee, just FYI.) Incredible! I also love the serenity of your photo, Mz. K. Blood pressure easing on down just with these entries, ladies! Enjoy!

Further proof I am living vicariously through you all, I have investigated further. What a delightful area of Spain!

https://www.contentedtraveller.com/thin ... bia-spain/

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Excellent research, Lori. And DF, what gorgeous places you’ve walked! I love the scenery and the cattle around.

We have done loads of hiking for the past week or so in both France and Spain. My feet are complaining, but my heart sings with the mountains. I love the animals around, all with bells round their necks. The gentle, hypnotic music of the constantly ringing bells. The majestic vultures flying over the valleys. It’s stunning, all of it it.

We are saying goodbye to the Pyrenees tomorrow, and moving closer to the coast for our final accommodation.

So much to share, but it’s proven to be quite tricky with limited internet. Will post pics when I next can, I promise.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Enjoy, Dee! It sounds so very beautiful!

Moonchime

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:31 am

Dee - Hondarribia does look amazing - I just love all those balconies!
I think I would like to live in somewhere similar when I'm too old to walk about - somewhere I could sit on my balcony and just watch all the people go by. Somewhere that I could feel part of the hustle and bustle without going anywhere! :57:

DF -- what a gentle peaceful picture you have posted - it is balm for the soul.
Hopefully it didn't rain too much while you were actually walking - I suppose the good thing about lots of rain is that it makes everything so very green and fresh.

:x

Moonchime

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:06 am

In June we went with our 2 grown up children (well supposedly grown-up) to Lake Garda in Northern Italy.
The idea had been to satisfy my both children by being in a place which offered activities such as cycling(son's passion) and climbing/via ferrata (daughter's passion) while also allowing us older folk some swimming in the lake and plenty of opportunities to sit in cafes eating and drinking!!!
Ah the best laid plans!!!
Lake Garda is known for its temperate climate positioned at the foot of the Dolomite Mountains.
Well normally it is temperate, but this year it experienced, along with most of Europe, a heatwave.
It was in the middle of this heatwave that we had booked - so temperate became temperatures into the forties and we had no air-conditioning in our airbnb!!!
I know I shouldn't moan...And yet...

The edge of the town that we stayed in - Riva del Garda - there is a road that runs right along the edge of those mountains!

We weren't staying right by the lake which is much more touristy but further out in a residential area.

One day we visited Malcesine - a town on the Western shore with a wonderful castle:

By the waterfront

Views from the castle.

And a touch of how it used to be in times gone by:

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Kathy - these photos literally brought tears to my eyes. The beauty is astounding! Riva del Garda takes my breath away with those mountains towering over the sea. I'm so happy you were able to experience this. The heat would have buckled my bony knees, I'm afraid, but I would have tried the mountain road on a cooler day. To be enveloped by this beauty - I cannot imagine.

I surmise (and hope beyond hope) there is tale after tale of your cute little family dynamics. Grown kids are just that, aren't they? Grown when they feel like it and kids when they don't? I know you have treasured memories amongst the challenges and triumphs!

Thanks for sharing, friend! So over the moon about this place. Perhaps it is going on my 'must see' list!

NurseRatched

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:54 am

Why are bells so charming? Cow bells especially? Hmmm? :72:

Italy photos are out of this world. Timeless beauty. I imagine the water was quite cold in spite of the higher air temps? I'll be daydreaming in here....PS the castle photo didn't show up...

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:29 am

Just pure gorgeousness!!
All that colour and bright sunshine.
I love the old photographs too.

(For me all pictures downloaded just fine.)

I understand that certain parts of this lake are suitable for swimming whilst others can be too cold? I must admit, when it comes to swimming in natural waters, I'd choose a lake and a river over the sea any day. But just staring into these waters is a priceless experience, isn't it?

You've done an amazing job making most of your time there in that heatwave, Mz K, and how wonderful that your kids still holiday with you, it warms my heart. :x

Moonchime

Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:24 am

Thank you dear mermaids.

Yes it is heart-warming that the kids still join us - until we pay the bill of course and then my heart chills a little!!

You are right some parts of the lake were ok to swim in temperature - wise but then there was another area that caused me to be on the verge of "cold-shock" and I do not say this lightly!!!
It turned out there was a very large river nearby feeding into the lake and I can only assume that it consisted of snow-melt... :o :o :o

That emoji is just what I looked like by the way - on entering the water. :72:

There was a life-guard nearby but he only had a rowing boat and doubt he would have reached me in time!!

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:57 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:11 pm

:57: :57: :57:

Moonchime

Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 am

Well Mz Lori you have revealed all too clearly how nearly drowning can have an up side!!!! :72: :57: :57:

• Information