Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Re: The Maori People

Moonchime

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:37 am

The portraits previously posted were displayed in the public areas of the Waitomo Caves Hotel. All their art was quality and obviously someone has an interest in collecting.

It is full of Maori art - you get a glimpse of some here.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:58 am

What a magnificent place and in a beautiful setting! (Did I see us all traipsing up that hillside for a scant moment?)

Moonchime

Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:44 am

It is a beautiful setting and a truly memorable place - just needs a bit of TLC.
I reckon you did see us traipsing up the hill Lori - just for a moment - it is a place for visions!!! :72:

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:13 pm

I showed my husband this video (who knows how the topic came up?!) and he was mesmerized and had so much respect for the retention of tradition and the passion with which these guys re-enact the war dance passed down throughout the years. Is it cultural appropriation that he did a spot-on performance in the kitchen as I passed him of a Maori suitor? (I'm still laughing.) I suppose respect and humor can reside in the same moment...

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:51 am

I’m somewhat disappointed here, Mz Lori, that the accompanying video to your above post is NOT of your dear hubby performing an impromptu culturally appropriated haka. I am left here with nothing but my imagination. Yet it still makes me chuckle. I hope you said yes I will. :57:

And that beautiful gentle loving gesture at the end, leaning foreheads together, after what has just passed? Gets me every time. :73:

Moonchime

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:27 am

Dee wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:51 am
ill. :57:
And that beautiful gentle loving gesture at the end, leaning foreheads together, after what has just passed? Gets me every time. :73:
That gesture is "The Hongi."

From https://www.elle.com.

The act, which involves touching one's nose and forehead to another person's, is actually considered the equivalent of a formal handshake. But the hongi has a fascinating history. The tradition originated from the story of the birth of the first earthly Maori woman, Hineahuone, who was made from clay until the Maori god Tāne breathed life into her nostrils. Now, the greeting means "to share breath."

Probably not a goer in the present climate of the pandemic.

Anyway back to the main event of Mr. Lori dancing a haka in the kitchen - could we please have a little repeat on video - or maybe a photo if he's too shy? :72: :72: :72:

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:32 pm

That is one intimate formal handshake! Can you imagine interviewing for an important position in a company and ending the meeting joining heads and noses?

I'm thinking about casual kissing in greetings and goodbyes. I've never had a woman try to kiss me on the lips as a casual greeting, but I've had quite a few men attempt it - men I know are friends only and I am positive they hold no attraction towards me, but I always swerve somewhat awkwardly (but oh so skillfully), kiss the air and make a little "mewah!" sound beside their ears. A little like the French do with far less aplomb. I doubt they try to kiss Mr. Lori on the lips. It's quite odd in retrospect.

Kissing tradition thoughts?

P.S. Regarding Mr. Lori and his dance moves: He prefers to keep these moments mysterious, much like a unicorn sighting or a Night-Blooming Cereus.

Moonchime

Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:05 am

An interesting debate indeed!!
Greetings can be a fumbling disaster can't they? I always forget how many times to kiss on alternate cheeks in France and Poland as they both do that but a different number of times - so often I just carry on until it seems like it's the right time to stop - trying to avoid embarrassment of course!!
Actually I think it's 3 times in Poland

Of course the kiss on the lips just isn't a greeting at all is it? :57: It's not a first time thing. :72:

Although all my family do the double/triple cheek kissing there are exceptions - my brother-in-law will sometimes do the greeting but only with one hand touching the other's arm and the other hand hanging limply by his side - but then I find some other men are like that; they seem to have problems sometimes with the "in-between" approach - at least in this country.

Tibet - apparently here you have to stick out your tongue.

Malaysia
From www.afar.com
It’s very formal, but this traditional Malaysian greeting has a particularly lovely sentiment behind it. Take the opposite person’s hands lightly in yours. Then, release the other person’s hands and bring your own hands to your chest and nod slightly to symbolize goodwill and an open heart.

Japan - the lower you bow the more respectful - I tried to get some of my pupils to adopt this once!! :57:

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:48 am

Great investigation, MC! I like all of these and it is a wonderful reflection on humanity. I love your Polish roots with the 2 or 3 cheek kisses. The forehead and nose touch is beautiful among family or close friends. The hand to forehead respecting the elderly is beautiful.

I hear the French are contemplating negating "la bise" going forward. Factoid: During the 14th century people stopped doing it altogether as a result of the plague and it didn't make a reappearance until after the First World War. Then, the upper crust thought it too common for some time.

Such a strange age we live in. Ours is the first generation bombarded with world-wide images/customs/opinions/oddities. I think our parents are exposed, but out of self-preservation and techno-confusion (good word Lori!) generally avoid processing as much as we do naturally with our innate computer skills, etc. It is an age of deep discovery and perhaps massive over-stimulation in sound and video bites on the flip-side. It's a bit scary the small swath of information from which we base immediate and lasting opinions. Yet, isn't it beautiful to be able to access and learn these bits and bobs we showcase here?

BTW, MC, I hear some of your students still have ongoing issues...

There is a lot of road between a casual greeting and intimate greeting. I have a nephew who for some reason gives the. best. hugs in greeting. No weirdness, just flowing warmth. So, within the family it was hugs once upon a time - BC (Before Covid) and with friends too - avoiding the lip kissy thingy (TVD reference for those of you who watched back in the day. Think HRS throwing Elena into the lake...). Pecks on cheeks = yes. Now, if a close friend wanted to peck me on the lips, it wouldn't freak me out if said friend is female. So odd. Truth be told, I don't even like to dance with men other than my husband, dad, or son. Sound so puritanical, but it feels so intimate for me. Much like sitting between two sweaty "pirates" on the Tube. Group dancing = yes. I just don't like to stand in front of a man and make eye contact and move my body. Ballroom dancing may be the exception, though I am very inept. TMI yet? Hmm?

You know, if there were no Piccadilly Harbour, I wouldn't have to realize what a strange human being I have become or perhaps have always been... I. Blame. You. All.

:x :08: :67:

Moonchime

Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:28 am

Lori wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:48 am
The forehead and nose touch is beautiful among family or close friends. The hand to forehead respecting the elderly is beautiful.

The nose/forehead touch is beautiful but hugely intimate I agree - I feel the sharing of breath could be a touch too much on some days - perhaps if you keep your head tilted down? :72:

I do like the hand to the forehead for the elderly - in fact I like any sign of respect for the elderly :72: A family member used to argue that no-one should automatically have respect, that it should be earned, but I think some respect for experience is no bad thing, as on the whole the elderly have earned some respect by the mere fact of being part of the human experience for some time and, usually, helping pave the way for those to come. Something is learnt everyday and I think it is really only the Western societies that do not really have a place for the elderly in the way other societies do. I know when we go to Doris there is constant reference to "the ancestors" with a huge amount of respect.

I hear the French are contemplating negating "la bise" going forward. Factoid: During the 14th century people stopped doing it altogether as a result of the plague and it didn't make a reappearance until after the First World War. Then, the upper crust thought it too common for some time.

I love that fact Lori - who'd have guessed. I haven't seen any sign of the abandonment of "la bise", in fact I'm always surprised by how prevalent it is but perhaps covid will be the beginning of the end.

I think our parents are exposed, but out of self-preservation and techno-confusion (good word Lori!) generally avoid processing as much as we do naturally with our innate computer skills, etc. It is an age of deep discovery and perhaps massive over-stimulation in sound and video bites on the flip-side. .

I think you are right as it is such a changed world for our parents, although mine never really saw the computer age or the mobile phone. I think there comes a time for all of us where it is a very real effort to keep up with the changes and sometimes you just can't be bothered. :57:
Despite my best efforts there are still times I have to resort to consulting my children!!!!

Maybe that's the problem; in the past we handed down so much knowledge about how to cook, make and grow things, but now the thrust is on technology and that is mainly in the domain of the young. Those societies that rely on understanding nature and the ways of the plants and animals around them have much to pass on, but in the modern day West the value of the elders has lessened even though it is becoming clearer that to live a happy life you need so much more than keeping up with modern trends; you need to be part of the planet in a much more "hands-on" way; there needs to be connectedness.

It's a bit scary the small swath of information from which we base immediate and lasting opinions

That is so true and makes me smile because one thing's for sure - people argue and hold forth on all sorts of things that they know absolutely nothing about. I'm of the opinion if you can't beat them - join them. :57: :57:

Yet, isn't it beautiful to be able to access and learn these bits and bobs we showcase here?

Absolutely Lori - absolutely!!! :08: :x

BTW, MC, I hear some of your students still have ongoing issues...

I do hope so Lori - I do hope so. :72: :57:

Truth be told, I don't even like to dance with men other than my husband, dad, or son. Sound so puritanical, but it feels so intimate for me. Much like sitting between two sweaty "pirates" on the Tube. Group dancing = yes. I just don't like to stand in front of a man and make eye contact and move my body. Ballroom dancing may be the exception, though I am very inept. TMI yet? Hmm?

I totally agree - it is intimate. To me dance is all about flirting at its most innocent, but much more than that with some dances. I love circle dances and folk dancing where it's all about the different roles being celebrated and enhanced; where both sexes basically show off, but all within the strictures of the dance rules. Safe but huge fun. No need to feel threatened.

However, in other dances - and I would include much of ballroom dancing here - well the Latin quarter anyhow - it is highly sexual and I would definitely only want to do those dances with someone I didn't mind intimacy with. I mean what can you say about the Tango?

But sometimes less is more:

Spoiler:
You know, if there were no Piccadilly Harbour, I wouldn't have to realize what a strange human being I have become or perhaps have always been... I. Blame. You. All. [/color]

Long live Strange... :72: :72: :72: :x

DawnFae

Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:32 am

Hey lovely Mermaids :x !

Thanks for posting all the wonderful dance moves and the "strange" and beautiful greeting customs!

Respecting the elders is a beautiful custom indeed and it is nice to see it practiced in some cultures.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:31 pm

How did I miss that fabulous post, MC? Laughing and nodding. You are correct about the Tango! And, again, our Sound of Music glides right in!

:57: :x

• Information