Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Game of Thrones 8x06 - "the Iron Throne" -Series FINALE

DawnFae

Mon May 20, 2019 11:33 am

The spoilers were spot on. I haven't watched it yet but here is the commentary from Charlie:

DawnFae

Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm

Drogon's pain was so heartbreaking!
Game of Thrones 8x06 - Drogon Destroys The Iron Throne
Spoiler:

DawnFae

Mon May 20, 2019 12:08 pm

I don't even feel like watching the whole thing anyway.
Spoiler:
The two people who suffered most and around whom the story was built, were dealt such a bad hand in this game of whatever!

Jon and Daenerys are the big losers here. I feel cheated by this whole sorry story.

All the others won big! Good for them!

RIP Jon and Daenerys.
It looks like the Dragon had more heart than all the people together.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue May 21, 2019 4:13 pm

I completely understand your deep disappointment, DF.

I'm in the Club of Mixed Feelings over the final episode myself. They've promised a bittersweet ending...
Well, this was more bitter than sweet for me, but perhaps not as bad as I feared after the last two bombshell episodes.

If I consider the whole series, I find the ending very disappointing.
If I consider the episode itself, starting with the terrible mess created in the previous episodes, then I'd say they did a pretty good job bringing the series to an acceptable ending to most of the surviving characters.

Jon going off with the wildlings is definitely a good outcome, given the circumstances. Tormund could have said something funny to break the utterly morose mood of the scene, and to make it feel more like these people are going back to enjoy their freedom beyond the walls, rather than they were going into some kinda exile. I guess Jon was. Yet, there is some hope that, in time, he will get over his trauma, and find some happiness.

Terribly sad ending for Daenerys. I have no words.

Bran is king? To be honest, I think that's more funny than anything else, I can't really take it seriously. I would have preferred no king at this stage, just a council, (especially as the bloody iron throne was thankfully destroyed by one very intelligent dragon) and have Bran sit on the council, as the best Master of Whisperer there can possibly be. But King? Seriously? And Bran the Broken? My husband and I just looked at each other and burst out laughing. Choice name, Tyrion.

But I guess, Bran being king is the closest we can have to the council running the country. He's like a token king. Off to look for a dragon whilst the rest of the council runs the country and makes important decisions about rebuilding the brothels asap.

So why was it necessary to tell Jon about his parentage back when Bran made it seem so urgent? Makes no sense at all to most of us. I wonder if anyone could explain it?

Many things I was disppointed with. But I was determined to look for the positive, and I found things I liked. The atmosphere of the the first fifteen minutes or so... fantastic. Dany (the now fully fledged mad queen :roll: ) defining what she did in Kings Landing as "liberating" and announcing future plans to "liberate" the rest of the seven kingdoms. Chilling stuff.

Drogon taking Dany's body with him choked me up. As did Jon and Arya's farewell. Pity Gendry didn't get another moment with Arya, but she at least got a really good ending. Brienne finishing Jaime's entry... a noble gesture, and I guess it also made it easier for her to find closure.

Trying to hold onto the positive here, see?
Not that easy.

Thinking about just makes me feel very sad.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu May 23, 2019 6:18 am

Where art thou, DF? Have you brought yourself to watching it yet?

Dee
Site Admin

Thu May 23, 2019 6:21 am

I know it's hard to overcome disappointment when a story doesn't end well for our favourite characters. We have been here many times before.

But here is a guy who argues well to defend the main sources of disappointments:

Dee
Site Admin

Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 am

My feelings about S8 after a few days of reflection:

My four biggest criticisms were:

1. Jaime's end.
2. Danny's massacre - too much, out of the blue.
3. The lack of NK, WW action and back story in the battle at Winterfell, and the battle against the dead happening too early in the season, lack of real involvement from Bran and Jon in destroying the NK.
4. Bran becoming king without proper fleshing out of his character and use of powers since 'Hodor'.

1. I'm coming round on this. I accept the story. I just wish they'd given us a bit more on Jaime making this u-turn. I can separate what I've wished for this character and handle my disappointment, and accept it's a plausible story that he would go back to Cersei. But they rushed his realisation, that he can't be this person Brienne wants him to be, and his love for Cersei is stronger than any other feeling he might have.

2. Again, it's a disappointing story, because I was rooting for Dany to be able to achieve her dream, but I accept, it's a very plausible story, how she ended up. I still think it was terribly rushed, and pushed too far too soon, but I get the intended story, and kinda like it. How someone with the best intentions can turn out to be a terrifying tyrant. Seen it over and over again in history. Shame it had to be Dany too though.

3. No defence on this. This is definitely a shortcoming. But I understand we are going to get our answers eventually from the prequels, so there is that.

4. Absolutely no denying this is a shortcoming and that is why it felt like a joke. It is not a bad idea, but should have been fleshed out way better than it was.

On the whole, I'm less disappointed now than I was after Ep3/4/5.
The main problem was condensing too much in a few episodes and rushing. This allowed for some really silly mistakes and "kind of forgets" and unearned twists and turns in the story telling.

Watching this show was still an amazing ride, and I'm not regretting any of it.

DawnFae

Thu May 23, 2019 12:23 pm

I haven't watched the whole episode yet Dee!
I will try and watch on the weekend to come to a closure of sorts.
I am sad about what they did to Dany. It looks almost as if Bran plotted it all to become the new King or something like that. It was pretty much out of the blue!

Why couldn't they make Dany and Jon the couple who turns it all around to help people live in peace and freedom?

Sansa became a queen as she dreamed of and this time on her own terms so good for her.
Arya embarked on a journey of adventures as she always wanted!
Almost every character got what they wanted in one way or another but Jon and Dany were so robbed of everything they stood for or ever dreamed about. This simply sucks big time!

I don't know when GRRM will be done with the next book. Will see...
I can still have my own ending and enjoy it too.
why didn't they make two more full seasons, why the rush?
This was so dumb it hurts.
I will write more after watching.
I love what you wrote about it. It could have worked, sort of, if they only had taken the time to build it properly to that end.
I still have tons of questions about Melisandre and Dany's magic...

Dee
Site Admin

Sun May 26, 2019 2:19 am

Lol, DF, you gotta just pluck up the courage and watch the damn thing. Some of it is very good. If you can bring yourself to accept the tragic ending to Dany's story, that is.

I always felt it was never going to be both of them surviving all this, so that part was not so much a blow. It's the *how* it happened that was hard to take. If one of them had to die, it would have been so much better if one died in protecting the other in battle... but this was a very hard story they delivered, and not really earned, as they wrote a massive change in Dany that happened far too quickly. A great pity.

But watch it, DF. To get closure on it.

DawnFae

Sun May 26, 2019 6:37 am

Dee wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:19 am
Lol, DF, you gotta just pluck up the courage and watch the damn thing. Some of it is very good. If you can bring yourself to accept the tragic ending to Dany's story, that is.

I always felt it was never going to be both of them surviving all this, so that part was not so much a blow. It's the *how* it happened that was hard to take. If one of them had to die, it would have been so much better if one died in protecting the other in battle... but this was a very hard story they delivered, and not really earned, as they wrote a massive change in Dany that happened far too quickly. A great pity.

But watch it, DF. To get closure on it.
Hey Dee :x !
I've just watched the last episode.
This was a heartbreaking ending especially for Jon and Daenerys.
I mean, when did she become a mad queen and so fast at that :roll: .
Even in the face of such a development, they could have made love prevail!
The most beautiful scenes and also the sad ones were when Daenerys was talking about the Iron throne and how she wanted Jon to rule by her side.
True love came from the poor Dragon who lost his "mother" and friend.
Jon lost everything and the rest of them, even criminals got a seat at the King's table and they can make decisions about people's lives.
I really liked Sansa as the queen in the North and how glamorous she became.
Arya got her freedom and Tyrion became one of the most powerful men in the realm but nobody could spare a bit of mercy and love for Jon who saved their asses from everything.
Justice looks different to me.
I still believe it was a cruel ending and such a wasted character development. This was not the Daenerys we grew to love in the past seasons.
Maybe we will get a different ending in the books if GRRM manages to finish them one day that is...

I love your comments! They helped a lot!
:x :x :x

• Information